Are You Reserving 2010 Campsites?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Luv2ridebikes, Dec 1, 2009.

1. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

You will love First Landing great beach!!!!!!!!!! here are my pics of when we went down there http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/572735093VEgfzA

2. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

We pretty much do that also. Schedules change. I usually book no more than 1 week in advance. I agree that if it is fully booked, I don't want to go there. I would prefer to have space around me. DW and I would like to ultimately be in a space that has no one on either side.. Not that we are unsociable, we just like the space and have had some loud neighbors. Like we tell the kids, being in a PUP is like having a sheet between you and your neighbor. Don't get loud because everyone hears everything you say.

One of our best trips had no one on either side of us. In fact, we had 3 open spaces between our entrance side and the next PUP.

I think we would boondock if it wasn't for our needing electricity (we both have C-PAPS) and water (could carry it, but we wash dishes, hands, cook with it). Sanitary is not a big issue, we haven't filled one up to where I needed to dump it.

3. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

I like to boondock too but haven't lately(Have C-Pap also) I ordered cables that connect my machine to a battery will let everyone know how that works

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

We never use hook-ups and DW has a CPAP. We just got the cable set to allow her to connect it directly to the trailer's 12vdc batteries. It works perfectly. We have a 1000 watt generator to recharge the batteries for long trips but there is no problem on a short trips. As for water, we have the on-board 10-gallon tank and then bring two 3-gallon containers. That's plenty for us but we are very conservative with water. More liberal uses could just get one or two more 3-gallon containers.

5. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

Tripod, I'm sure we are all jealous, as you have a great opportunity to make due without reservations. Here in lower MI / upper IN, it is much more difficult (or further) to dry camp than in the PA NW. Also, to get on the Great Lakes, nearby, there is virtually no other option to ressies.
    Northern MI and the UP is another story.

6. lpm

lpm EH?

I'm waiting for Ontario Parks to add more parks to their new reservation system. The parks that I normally would reserve for are still not on their list. They did add more since they began the new system November 1st but need to see more.

7. jbarz73

jbarz73 New Member

I am planning a 5-6 night, mid June trip to Yosemite. Still trying to decide whether to stay outside of the park w/ hookups or inside the park w/o hookups.

My concern with being in the park would be having to dump mid-week and running down the single group 24 battery. The problem being outside the park would be commute times to the locations within the park.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

8. mostlyok

mostlyok We're Mostly OK!

We have our New Years site reserved already! We are looking at a week in late April for a week's worth. We had such a screwed up 2009, we're a little timid about signing up. But we do know where and when. Just have to commit!

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

jbarz73, my suggestion is to stay inside the park. Yosemite is a big place so there are long driving times to and inside the park even without traffic. Heavy traffic just makes those times worse. Also, you would not get stuck waiting in lines at the entrance, either. I think it would be much less inconvenient to dump your tank once than to run in and out every day (to say nothing of the extra gasoline cost). Finally, if that battery is getting old, consider replacing it with two identical batteries. Wired in parallel they'll give you twice the available amp hours.

10. jbarz73

jbarz73 New Member

Unstable, thanks for the tip. I've been debating both options in my mind [RTM] as the in-park reservation window approaches.

We bought our [PU] new this June, so the battery is relatively new (I'll check the date code on it later). My plan has been to wait until it's done with its useful life and changing to 2 6V cart batteries in series. Otherwise, I'll pony up for 2 group 27 batteries in parallel. Haven't decided yet, and don't have a need yet either.....but this is the wrong thread anyway. [;)]

11. cksteele

cksteele now where did i put that hot dog

Have already planed and booked one trip for the second week in july in the lake george area.I think i will be doing the ct ralley in april but haven't booked that yet. Has one weekend in june booked as well. I like to have the trips planned out in advance since i and the wife have to ask for the time off.

12. 14erfam

14erfam Member

[glow=red,2,300]COLORADO RALLY- REGISTRATION BEGINS JAN 6!

13. tntom

tntom Member

Have just made reservations for Elkmont in the Great Smoky Mtns in May and in June. Snowing as I type. The ground is white. Expecting from 2 to 4 inches by morning. Bring on spring and summer!!! [LOL]

14. hanson1522

hanson1522 Belleville, IL

By the way.....
    Booking is now open for Southern Illinois Rally!!!!​

check it out!

15. Larry NC

Larry NC Life is Camping, the rest is waiting

We have 12 trips planned for 2010, 9 reservations have been made. Waiting for remaining sites to be available. We always travel over 100 miles to camp, so we make reservations 100% of the time.

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Yes, for ground tenting and backpacking; the PU is still under renovations but we hope to take it in April, we already have a site reserved at the Grand Canyon. DH wil be backpacking, so we had to put the permit request in Dec. 1, & got a campsite as soon as he had the permit. We're up in the air for our other trips this year, since we may met up with family druing a trip, but we've learned that putting as much as possible on the calendar means we get more camping done each year.
    Most of our camping is in state & national parks, or Forest Service campgrounds.
    We mostly reserve if we can, we'd rather spend time enjoying camping than searching for a campsite. We don't camp on holiday weekends unless it is backpacking, or somewhere far enough out that it is not so much a party atmosphere.
    Each year, we reserve a Forest Service group site for our church almost a year in advance, that is a tent camping weekend; a couple of years we've had 1 family in a PU, but they have to set up in the parking lot.
    If I take the PU back east this year, I am debating reserving sites along the route, so I don't have to search for one, or find one when I get tired of driving. The last 2 trips we've reserved at KOAs so we could do big milage days and know we had a place to stop.

17. Pescador

Pescador New Member

Jabarz73 I agree with tripod you should stay in the camp ground at Yosemite. I've only gone a couple of times to the park and it is always busy to get through the gate. However, if you are in already you can pretty much move around to the area you want to look at and boy is there a lot to look at! I'm near Sacramento, California and I need to see more of this great park and plan to take a good week as your self to just take in that incredible nature scenery. Have fun and I hope your battery holds up. I'm interested in trying to install or update my electrical on a 1975 Palomino but I'm still working on other items first till I figure out what I need. [PU] [TV] [:)C]

18. jbarz73

jbarz73 New Member

Thanks for the advice on Yosemite. We've decided to try to get a site within the park. DW suggested that we stay in the Valley for the 1st part (4 or 5 nights) and then stay in Wawona for the 2nd part (2-3 nights). We could then do our mid-week dump while changing sites.

Now I hope I can get a spot reserved when they open the next reservation window.

19. Csea

Csea New Member

Well I was going to book Bon Echo for june 18-27th went to the website went to reserve...and was told i cant book more than 5 months in advance... BOO ONTARIO PARKS BOO. So i have to wait til feb 18th. Now for booking in Saskatchewan for the park i want to go to, we have to book in january, cause last year there was no sites.

20. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

I have already booked 4 trips for this summer in CA and OR. Since we have had a pup (only a couple years now) I have vowed to try a new place every year and so far it's happening.

For all you Oregonians, I love your state parks. :)