ARGH TEARS!

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by upahpaul, Jun 29, 2008.

1. upahpaul

upahpaul New Member

Okay so this is probably a common question... but what do I do when I am an idiot and I put the canvas on the bed wrong and pulled so hard I put a 2-2.5 inch tear in the canvas... can somone suggest a patching silution...

If it is spelled wrong Caleb wrote it if it is spelled correctly than Destiny did... or CAleb got lucky

2. dupreet

dupreet New Member

Hi,

I feel your pain - we went out last fall and my Pyrenees/Saint Bernard mix decided she wanted to get our attention - she jumped up on the bunkend and shredded the canvas....looked like a bear had attacked!!

I fixed all those rips, and a couple that occured over the years by stitching them up in a wide 'X' pattern - just pulling enough to close up the tear, and then applying some clear Shoe-Goo to the repair to seal it up. if you match the thread to your canvas color, it really doesn't look that bad.

I should hopefully have my new bunkends coming from Bear Creek this week!! BTW, that doggie is not going camping with us for a while :)

Todd

Wife, 3 Kids, 4 Dogs, 3 Cats, The Wabbit
    '88 Palomino TXL hardsider
    '93 Ford E-350 Van

3. vlad60050

vlad60050 New Member

i had this happen when shepards hoop ripped out one sid what i did was get heavy duty apholstery thread try to match your color of canvas , stitch it up then i used shoe goo on the inside to seal it worked grat couldn't even notice til i was up close

me :72'
    wife :77'
    son :95'
    daughter 96'
    son : 02'
    tv : 02' chevy blazer
    pup: 85' starcraft starlite 21

4. drrusk

drrusk New Member

I have used my portable sewing machine to sew tears--I have been pretty lucky over the years to be able to position the machine close to the tear and get enough slack in the canvas to actually make the repair.

I remember trying to do a final fold-down and catching the canvas right before we were supposed to be pulling out to hit the road for 4 hours--a good 6 inch tear right on my side of the bunk!

I was able to bring my machine to the trailer, unhook the canvas from the bunk, somehow work it into position on the machine and did a wide, close stitch almost like a button hole to close it up--

Years ago I replaced tons and tons of screen in a big old Bethany PUP---That was before DS#1 was born--You get pretty creative when you are broke and have lots of time on your hands!

me: 67
    DH: 66
    son: 90
    son: 94
    son: 98
    tv: 1994 Chevy Van
    pup: 1988 Viking