Arizona Spring meet-up, April 6-8, Kartchner Caverns SP

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by kitphantom, Feb 7, 2018.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The original thread for a AZ Spring Rally seems to have gotten a bit derailed, but there has been a bit of interest, nevertheless. (Original thread here: http://www.popupportal.com/threads/2018-arizona-spring-rally.114702/)
    I am willing to be a touch-point for a meet-up - i.e. a little less formal than a "Rally". Since the most likely of the original weekends and locations still works for me, I'm selfishly designating that for the meet-up. (I live in ABQ, but will be in Tucson that week.)
    Karchner Caverns SP still has campsites available as of today. Each person is responsible to make their own reservation, and if you want to tour the Caverns, that reservation too.
    The main meet-up time will probably be Saturday, depending on when folks arrive Friday, and how long they stay Sunday. (I'll be pulling out pretty early, since I have an 8-9 hour drive home.) You are, of course, free to make reservations for a longer stay if you want to enjoy the park and area.
    I have site 42 reserved, IIRC, it's large enough for me to set up shade structures, etc. I can make a main dish for a Saturday potluck, if folks are interested. Or, we can do as we've done on a couple of other occasions - designated time for Sat. supper, each family brings their own stuff, and we share as much or little as desired.
    If there's no interest by mid March or so, I'll just cancel my reservation

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Sarge likes this.
  2. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

My apologies for being absent so much lately. Between work (lots of OT lately), issues with the dog's health (missed the Trans Siberian Orchestra Concert in early December, when our son called us at the motel the night before to let us know Stormy couldn't move one leg, and we've had to make a lot of adjustments since), and preparations for our anniversary trip this past week (just got home from a week in Roatan, Honduras, last night), we've been swamped. Hopefully, we have some breathing room now.

Anyway, our son has an out-of-town job that same weekend, so we're not going to be able to camp that weekend, as he takes care of the dogs while we're gone. At the very least, one of us would have to remain home. My wife has said she'll stay home if I want to bring the P'up down, so if there's enough interest, I can plan on that. I'll keep an eye out here and see what's happening.

3. kitphantom

Glad to see that you're still here Hoomi. Life does have a way of messing with camping sometimes!
    So far, not another peep of interest since I began this new thread, so we'll see what happens. Interest in Rallies here in the 4 Corners states seems to have waned. The popularity of camping and fully reserved campgrounds well in advance just adds to the issues in trying to plan one.

4. Hoomi

We may try again to get a trip in down at Chiricahua National Monument this spring. We'd had a trip planned there last fall, but that Friday morning, on the way to work, my car died on me and had to be towed home that afternoon (I'd just managed to coast into the far parking lot at work). If you haven't made it to Chiricahua NM yet, it's a beautiful place, and we're looking forward to exploring it a bit more.

5. kitphantom

Chiricahua is one of our favorites, though the campsite we really liked was washed away in one of the flash floods. The site I had last time was good, I could hear coatis chittering in the wash at night. Not sure the Retro will fit in it though, I was up against a boulder with the Cobalt

Attached Files:

Hoomi likes this.
  6. Hoomi

I edited down my Spark videos from our trip last week. Here's where we were:

7. Hoomi

*crickets*

8. kitphantom

Yup

9. Hoomi

Are you still planning on staying that weekend at Kartchner, Andrea? If so, are you also planning on taking the cavern tour?

While we can't camp that weekend, we could come down for the day and take the cavern tour.

10. kitphantom

I'm going to cancel, since no one has expressed an interest in camping. The cavern tour is wonderful, but I'll have been away all week, so will be happy to get home if there isn't a bunch of folks to camp with.

11. Hoomi

Okay. Hope to catch up with you (and hopefully Courtenay, too) another time.

kitphantom likes this.