Arrowhead Provincial Park

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by ccptbo, Jun 9, 2014.

1. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

We took Sunday morning and did a kid-free venture up to Huntsville and into Arrowhead.

OMG! What beautiful park! I booked our site for our week's camping adventure in July way back in February, but we had the morning free so decided to take a drive up to see our sites (my sister and her family are coming with us).

We are on site 459 (sister is on 458) in Roe cg. This cg is still closed until July, so they said we could leave the van at the gate and walk in. So, we left the van at the parking lot for Big Bend Lookout and walked the km or so into our site.
    So, after losing a pint or so of blood.......we took some pictures and promptly left! We actually almost jogged back to the van! lol

I'm very glad we are not going until the end of July!!

The beaches are gorgeous! The park has many hiking and cycling trails. Beaver Meadow Trail goes right around Arrowhead Lake, as does the Arrowhead Lake Cycling/Hiking Trail. The Homesteaders Trail and the Mayflower Lake Trailer are two shorter trails around Mayflower Lake. There is also a "cycling only" trail which is 3km.

We also went into Huntsville to see what was around. There is a CTC, lcbo, Shoppers, Metro, Beer Store, all within a 5 min drive from the park.
    There are also several cute little motels on Arrowhead Park Road, just in case!! All look well maintained.

After our trip in July, I'll post some pics.

2. Ziggs76

Ziggs76 Member

I have a lot of good memories of Arrowhead. My parents took us there every summer when I was a kid. It's a bit of a hike from Waterloo and the Friday night Muskoka traffic through Barrie is a killer, but I'd like to get back there again soon. Enjoy your trip in July.
    Jeff

3. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Thanks Jeff! With the sights we saw on Sunday, it's a guarantee we will!

4. Limmer

Limmer Member

This is one of the most beautiful parks I have even been to but it is a no go for us now. We had a bear enter our campsite two years in a row! The first because neighbours left out baby food and the 2nd while we were eating dinner. It was terrifying, but I am a baby! So maybe not for everybody.
    We love the beaches here more than anywhere else we have been so far. We like to swim from one to the other since no boats are allowed on the lake.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

You run the risk of a bear or any wildlife entering your site just about anywhere out side the GTA and even in those GTA located parks there will be coyotes..

6. Limmer

Limmer Member

True but it is harder for me to pretend that is not the case after I saw two of them!

7. Debcom

Debcom New Member

thanks for your review, heading to Arrowhead for our first time with friends in July this year

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

9. algonquingirl

algonquingirl Active Member

I love Arrowhead! I plan on heading up there next summer. We always camp in the East River Campground. Great sites, easy walking distance to the trail to the falls and the Big East lookout.