As an anglophone ...

Discussion in 'Quebec' started by kingbain, Jun 13, 2017.

1. kingbain

kingbain Member

What can I expect when camping at the Quebec provincial parks ? I live in Ottawa and Quebec is right there! Gatineau prov park is right there but its so close to Ontario, what kind of language barrier will I find in the parks if I travel deeper into Quebec ? Are the Quebec parkies bilingual ?

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Along the border and in tourist areas you should no issues... Just an fyi pets are not allowed in Quebec Provincial Parks. .

3. Redbird934

Redbird934 Member

We did a tour around the Gaspe region of Quebec last summer and it was the most beautiful trip ever. The only place that our lack of French was a problem was at a chip truck or what they call a canteen and none of the ladies spoke English.

The only other drawback was for my little one, she was 6 and at the playgrounds none of the kids would play with her.

4. Roncorps

Roncorps New Member

I'm late to the talk but as a frenchy, Quebec Provincial Park are mostly trying to have bilingual people at the frontdesk. English course are obligatory in Quebec so many students and young adult working summer job will be able to "get you".

A great park to see and it's bilingual is National Park Canada - Mauricie. Great place.

5. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member Gold Supporting Member

It’s an old thread but.... most of us speak both English and French, especially in hospitality, and most campers in Quebec camp all over North America- so they will be at least ok in English.

No issues at all

6. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

Hey neighbor, I’m in Gatineau, my gf speaks only English and when we go camping she has no problems getting understood

7. erich82

erich82 Active Member

Considering about half the population of Florida are Quebecer campers, you should be fine lol.

8. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member Gold Supporting Member

Expand that to every campground on the eastern half for July and August

9. murcielago

murcielago New Member

Hi Kingbain,

As an Anglo Quebecer, I never really have an issue. I always bump into other anglos at the campsites and haven’t had any issues. I wouldn’t let it deter you! Quebec has some beautiful sites. Staff always speaks English and French.

10. Turpentine

Turpentine New Member

You certainly would not have to worry about language around Ottawa, Montreal and the Eastern Townships. In some smaller private campgrounds or in more remote areas (e.g. Saguenay, or east of Qc City) the owners might not be bilingual. But honestly, it's never been an issue for our unilingual American friends who live in Mtl and have camped all over the province, so I doubt it would be for you.

A follow-up on a previous, older comment: almost all QC provincial parks now accept dogs, though only in some campground loops and on specific trails.