Assateague National Seashore Oceanside loop B

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by LaramieLovers, Apr 1, 2021.

1. LaramieLovers

LaramieLovers Member

Just got back from a lovely 4 day trip to Assateague National Seashore. Note this is the National Park, not the State Park (which is nearby but separate and different). We are used to PA and NJ State Parks, and appreciated that adult beverages were permitted here. There were no raging parties, and mostly family groups. Maybe because you need to reserve these sites well in advance, it was what appeared to be regular/serious/prepared campers. We were there too early in the season for the bugs (I’ve heard they can get bad.) Each site has a big paved pad for a camper and a car or two.
    We camped in Oceanside loop B, site 25. Literally on the beach, but big dunes between the loop and the ocean. It was gorgeous, and we definitely plan to return. The camping areas are fairly wide open, with little shrubbery or trees, so if you are looking for privacy, spend some time looking at the maps and online images selecting your spot. There are more private sites, and some with no privacy at all. Our loop was mostly full, but never felt crowded, and everyone was friendly and chill.
    We saw wild horses daily, the loop seemed to be part of their morning quest for easy snacks. We kept our food properly locked up, so they passed through our site and nuzzled through our stuff, but found no snacks and moved on. The neighbors weren’t so lucky, and four horses helped themselves to a pancake breakfast, a box of granola bars, fruit and other goodies. We also saw deer on several occasions, bald eagles, and lots of different birds and water fowl.
    The amenities are basic; pit toilets- which were super clean, non-smelly, and maintained daily; cold water showers (outdoors with partial walls); and cold water pump. The showers weren’t open this early in the season, so I can’t comment on them other than to say they are there.
    There are short walking trails around the park and a really lovely beach.We are hikers, and the little 1/2 mile or less loops were not big endeavors, however, they were pretty, and one loop (life of the bay?) had lots of horses gamboling around the bay beach. This park would be great for biking around, we will probably take bikes next time. We flew kites, roasted marshmallows, and did some day excursions. All in all, a great place to camp!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I ‘ve always wanted to go back there but that place is next to impossible to go without 6+ month reservations. Especially later in the warmer season. However, Later on in the season the mosquitoes could carry you off, there are so many. The time our family went in July we were only safe the ocean, tent or car. Otherwise we felt like open season for those buggers. It is a absolutely beautiful place and seeing the wild horses was always a treat. So long as you followed the rules. We often took a drive around the area to watch the wildlife. Or spent time on the beach. I’ve been wanting to bring my kayak there and my popup but alas I could never get a spot big enough for my setup with only a few months notice. However my work schedule is very limiting and for a place so crazy busy you need flexibility.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. LaramieLovers

LaramieLovers Member

We drove through the bayside camping loops to check them out, and I noted that several sites have direct bay access, you could put in at the back of the campsite. We might actually book one of those next time to be able to kayak in the bay, especially if we go when it’s not beach weather. Cooler temps and no bugs have the further advantage of making a bayside site more appealing.

jmkay1 and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I had it booked for last year, but couldn't go because of covid. This year we got somewhere else. Up a bit further, to jersey, under a bridge or something. Oh well one day we will get there.

5. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Isn’t Assateague a great place?!
    We were there in January and are headed back next week for our annual trip.
    It is first come first serve from about October to March so if we get time we go there. Always was able to get a space, fyi.
    Spent one New Years at the beach. OC fireworks and all. People are so laid back there. We got the small solar panel now so that covers all our electrics. Usually the horses come through, occasionally at a gallop! (That was wild, the big dog just hunkered down watched that)
    And the pit toilets are very clean. Water available year round at the black dump/recycling bin area.
    We got cancelled last April but went in June. Won the weather lottery that week! Cool and breezy, no bugs. Just a very nice campground!

Sjm9911 and LaramieLovers like this.
  6. Roqon

Roqon New Member

It sounds like a great trip!
    How can we be sure it really happened without pics?[Guitar]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. LaramieLovers

LaramieLovers Member

F36571AD-3025-49E4-95FE-44739D32A132.jpeg
    I’m not 100% sure how to post pics here? But let’s see if this works....

Sjm9911 and Roqon like this.
  8. LaramieLovers

LaramieLovers Member

Ok, that works! Here are a few more photos. C4090EBB-B77F-4B2A-A718-562E4E92D65F.jpeg 5161F695-386D-4446-9ECC-F8C2A39A489C.jpeg C4090EBB-B77F-4B2A-A718-562E4E92D65F.jpeg BC53E053-900A-4B7C-8986-EBF1E05DD8D0.jpeg

Attached Files:

Jim K in PA, Sjm9911 and Roqon like this.
  9. LaramieLovers

LaramieLovers Member

This is good info, it’s about 3.5 hours drive from us, so we were nervous about going without a reservation. I’d be so bummed to drive alllllll the way there and find it full.

10. PointyCamper

You can call the MD ranger station
    Phone: (410) 641-3030 press #3

LaramieLovers likes this.
  11. LaramieLovers

LaramieLovers Member

This is VERY good info. Don’t know why I didn’t think of that. Thanks!

12. PointyCamper

Assateague

13. PointyCamper

upload_2021-4-16_15-51-28.png

LaramieLovers likes this.
  14. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Member

We booked a spot in the Bayside loop the first week in November. Looking forward to our first visit there with our Hybrid. We plan on bringing the canoe and hope to get some paddling in if the weather is cooperative.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. Dave Moz

Dave Moz Member

Looks and sounds like an amazing trip!

Used to camp in the State Park from 81-91 with my folks and brothers for two weeks at a time. Always loved it.
    Back then you would pull into the SP lot, get a ticket for the site lottery, and then wait.
    We would drive through the sites looking to see what was empty and who was packing up.
    At lottery time, we had our list of the sites we wanted when our number was called.

Just took my kids to the NP for the first time in July. We camped at Frontier Town but made two day trips to the NP beach. So much better than any beaches in new Jersey!
    We're thinking of trying to book the NP for next year but still considering some other options first.