ASSATEAGUE STATE PARK, MD

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by tttgmlake, Jan 2, 2011.

1. tttgmlake

tttgmlake New Member

just found this place while searching state parks.ASSATEAGUE STATE PARK, MD sure looks awesome would love to hear if anyone ever tried it http://reservations.dnr.state.md.us/camping/Assateague_State_Park/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=MD&parkId=380507&topTabIndex=CampingSpot dont know if link worked sorry if it didnt

2. barbjmj

barbjmj Member

I have visited the park but not actually camped there. It is so beautiful and to see the wild ponies and deer was just amazing.

3. tttgmlake

tttgmlake New Member

thanks did a search and found a lot of info next time ill search first

4. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

The camping is great as the loops are right on the beach.

Couple of things to keep in mind - you have to reserve ASAP. By early March all the spaces are soldout for the entire season. Bugs/horseflies can be an issue, so takes lots of spray. (but don't leave the can on the table, the flies will pick it up and now they have a weapon [:D]

5. barbjmj

barbjmj Member

No kidding! They are the size of flying monkeys!

6. eroyle

eroyle New Member

Take spray and hope the wind is not strong. Very nice place.

7. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

Here are a few pics from our trip 2 years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. pianewman

pianewman Ft. Worth, TX

Monkeys, you say? I thought they were RC airplanes!

Great place, clean, tiled showers. With a nice breeze, the mosquitos are bearable, but then the surf is too rough to swim...

Advice: Every person in your car should have their own can of the bugspray of choice (non-aerosol is best...read on!) You will notice that as soon as you stop your car, every door will have a dark cloud of mosquitos forming around it. I'm not making this up! The art of getting the spray on w/o choking everyone in the car is learned from experience.

9. 2girls1boy

2girls1boy New Member

We have friends who have camped there in tent and pup and all LOVED it!!! We just tried to book a few nights in July the other day and all sites were booked already! So you really have to plan in advance.

10. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Nikki,

Try Chincoteague Island. It is at the southernmost tip of Assateague.
    Private parks and they just about all spray every day to keep mosquitoes down.
    At the southern tip of Assateague, the island is very narrow with a road down the middle for parking.
    We took the girls there when the were littler. The eastern side of the beach road has nice waves. When the girls got tired of the waves, we picked everything and went to the western side beach which faced chinocoteague island and was like a salt pond.
    We also went for the pony penning in July. If you do that, stay at Tom's Cove,( I think), you can stay at the Campground and watch them swim the ponies across for the penning.

Lou

11. tttgmlake

tttgmlake New Member

Thanks to all who replied guess i will have to give it some thought and make a decision quickly

12. camping_girl

camping_girl New Member

Those are such cute pics of the pony. This park is on my list of places to go.

13. NH-popper

NH-popper Boldly going camping!

We'll be at the neighboring Assateague Natl Seashore campground in April. No hookups but I expect it'll be similar.

14. tlhdoc

tlhdoc New Member

You won't have the mosquitoes to worry about in April, but the ticks are bad that time of year. We have camped at Assateague Island one to three times a year for the last 18 years. We only camped in the SP twice. The sites are too close for us. We love the NP, but the mosquitoes and green headed flies can be AWFUL. If it is a dry summer and you have a wind off of the ocean it is great. If it is a wet summer and you have winds off of the bay, you will be eaten alive. The cloud of mosquitoes around you car are not an exaggeration. We love hearing the waves crash on the beach, looking for ghost crabs on the beach, canoeing in the bay, etc. Just be prepared for the bugs. We will be at the NSS at the end of June this year. :)

PS I have pictures on my webshots album and you are not allowed to pet any of the wild life, including horses. [V]

15. gojeepgo

gojeepgo New Member

Ive been to Assateague when I was younger with my family. My brother and I almost got carried away by the mosquitoes.

Does anyone know what the bug situation is like around the last week of June? Im thinking of taking my family there this year but Im not sure if we want to deal with the bugs.

16. tlhdoc

tlhdoc New Member

I am going to be there the last week in June. If it is a cool spring, the bugs won't be too bad. If it gets hot early they will be bad. No way to predict this far in advance. The mosquitoes need warm/wet weather. Hope to see you there. :)

17. LynnAllen02

LynnAllen02 Active Member

I was at National Park, they take dogs....in June a few years ago.

The camp host met us with netting on hands and ankles and face! Said bugs depend on Rain 10 days prior to your arrival, that's how long for them to breed!

We found out that gas stove draws the bugs bad, we were better off with charcoal.

Ocean side had a breeze that helped.

Bayside launching of kayaks was tough, get someone to launch the boat, then let the family run to the boat!

Beautiful place, have beautiful pics, but never saw such bugs...the person who recommends the private campgrounds that spray each day has the right idea....buy the pass to the parks....

Lynn

18. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

Advice: Go before May 15th to avoid the bugs or go late in the season. If you go in the summer Put on the bug spray before you arrive. We destroyed the paint on our car by spraying bug spray near it, when camping at Cape Henlopen State Park up the coast in DE.

19. camping_girl

camping_girl New Member

Sounds like this is a place for Thermacells!

20. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

I like the National Seashore campgrounds much better than the MD state park one, but you'd be crazy to camp in the Bayside one except in the fall to early spring. If there is an ocean breeze, the ocean side campground could be tolerable in the summer, though there is little shade. It's a marvelous island and well worth visiting.