At what night time temp do you use heat?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Orchid, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I'm going camping with my family and grandsons in a couple of weeks. I'm debating if I'm going to need to use heat. This wouldn't even be an issue if I didn't have little ones with me.

Both my grandsons are FL born and used to being warm. They are 2.5 and 3 years old. The night time lows where we will be are going to be in the mid 60's. It may sound warm, but then I was thinking how chilly it feels in the house when the AC is lower than 78. It could be a full 15 degrees colder than that.

I know I'm over stressing about it. It's been so many years since I've camped with my own little ones and had to worry about temperatures. I'm going to test out my pup furnace and check all my lines and I'm deciding if I need to also buy an electric unit.

So at what temps do you feel you need heat, especially with little ones?

2. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

I love temps in the mid-60s. Even a little cooler is ideal sleeping weather.

We run the furnace in brief spurts when it drops into the fifties or lower, but not after bedtime as we hate sleeping in heated spaces. We turn it back on in the morning for a few minutes if the camper has gotten cold.

3. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

We use the mylar insulation under the bunk ends as well as a small electric heater with a thermostat (CG electric) and it is very sufficient for anywhere from the low 20s on up. Have fun with the little ones and snuggle up close if they get too chilly.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Mid-60s?

When it's cold outside I set my furnace so that the interior temp of the trailer doesn't go much below 60 (that's where we have the night setting of our house thermostat). If it were mid-60s outside I'd have windows open.

Seriously, what temp do they sleep in at home? Try to copy that. Use extra sleep clothing if necessary.

5. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

I camp in the summer where the outside temps drop in the 20's and 30's a lot of the time. I usually turn on my heater in the morning for about an hour as the outside temps warm up. Saving my battery if I didn't bring my inverter along. My DW keeps me nice and warm all night. [:D] When I tent camped in the snow with my kids back when they were 4 & 6 and older we only used a propane heater in the morning to get dressed. My kids never complained about the cold but we live in a cold climate unlike your grandkids. But, I would think a good sleeping bag would keep them warm. We use top quaity sleeping bags put together with another blanket on top. uuummm toasty. [:)C]

6. CampingGators

CampingGators Awaiting the day...

Seriously? We still have the AC on day and night. Usually it is not cool enough for a sweater until after Oct. 16th. A blanket on their bed and p.j.'s should be enough to keep them warm, even in a few weeks. We never used heat until it hit the 40's at night when we had our kids in a PUP. [SUN]

7. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

We only camp where shore power is available, but we usually do not worry about a heater until we know it will be low 50s or lower at night, and thats mostly for the kids who toss and turn and rarely keep the blanket on them. If it was just the wife and I, we like it cool so would not worry about it until it got to low 40s.

8. Orchid

Yep, seriously. [LOL]

We live in northern FL and it is already cold here at night and early mornings. I still may be over thinking this...
    Their parents will be in tents and my babies in bed with me. I think I will have their parents bring footie PJ's.

9. bheff

bheff Active Member

I turn my on when its getting too cold.

10. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

Depends on how much my wife's teeth chatter [:D]

11. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

We raised two kids camping in a tent, no heater, just warm clothes and sleeping bags. I really don't think you will need the heater for temps in the 60's, even for kids from Florida.

12. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Depends. In the Spring, in the high 40s the furnace goes on. In the Fall, when it's in the hi-50s it seems to be getting cold.

13. freenaz

freenaz Member

I try to warm the trailer up to about 65-70 before bed and then turn it down to 55 - 60 for sleeping temp. We use sheets with a sleeping bag as a comforter. I would have the kids where footies. DW is always freezing and where's thermal underwear and heavy socks or more to bed. She thinks I'm crazy for my non-state of dress. [:D]

14. Orchid

We did too ... except with 5 kids. But, as every grandparent knows, grandchildren are much more fragile. [LOL]

15. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Orchid, I'd have to say the biggest difference that I remember from growing up in FL is that 50 degrees in FL, IS cold!! 50 Degrees here in VA is a LOT more tolerable....we don't have the humidity you have down there!!

Don't sweat it. I was a tad worried about this last week's camping, when it went into the high 40s over night. More for my dog's aches than ours! [LOL] I ran the heat on 72 for about an hour before we planned on going to bed. (read that on here somewhere!) Had to keep cutting it down, so it only came on like 3 times. Turned it down to 64 and don't really remember hearing it come on but once or twice. The point is to get it as warm as you can take, turn it down, go to bed. The wee hours usually 'even' things out for us, and we do like it a tad chilly as well. Our bunks have good quality sleeping bags on top of the regular mattresses, and I love the feel of them, so I use it as a sheet, and two blankies on top if needed. I'm a nester, so I like lots of blankets in all weather, even Summer. [A]

We're considering buying an oscillating heater for the counter top, because DH sleeps in the front K bunk, and I'm in the rear Q bunk. He says it stays colder in the front. I didn't tell him I had my window reflectix in my side. [:O] [LOL] Cheaper than eating the propane!

It'll all be good, and a great time will be had by all!
    [:D]

16. joet

joet Well-Known Member

With us, we use heat in the mornings and evenings. When we turn in for the nite, the heat goes off, as long as it stays in the 20's. to high teens
    We turn our heat off at nite at home also..even when its in the single's.

17. Orchid

Thanks RotnMom! I was starting to feel like an idiot for even starting this thread. [LOL] When we lived up north these were nice temps. Living in a warmer climate does change your metabolism after a few years.

LOL @ the reflectix on your side.

I'll bet there would be a big difference if some cold tough people tried to hang in 100 degrees with high humidity. It doesn't phase us until the heat index gets about 105. You guys would be melting. [;)]

18. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I prefer to just run the furnace a bit in the morning to warm things up. The wife and daughter like to run the furnace some over night. We generally keep the thermostat at or below 50.

19. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Remember, more humidity in winter actually makes you feel warmer. Cold dry air is much harder to take than cold moist air. By the same token, it's a lot easier to cope with high temps when the humidity is low; it's more comfortable to hike in the sun in the desert at 100° than it is to mow the lawn in the southeast at 80° with high humidity.

Running a humidifier in the winter makes your house much more comfortable, and you can decrease the thermostat temperature because you feel warmer with humidity levels in the 40% range or so, as opposed to air dried out by the furnace. Likewise in summer, running a dehumidifier makes a house more comfortable, and you don't need to run the AC (which also removes humidity) as often.

20. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Überland Basecamp

It sounds like you want to be sure to have warm beds for the children? Just a thought, do you have batteries on the trailer? If so, you could use 12 Volt DC bunk warmers. The 12 volt bunk warmers are great and work with out electric, as long as you have battery power available and a way to recharge your batteries when needed.

On our trailer, we have dual Optimus Batteries and we can run the bunk warmer, refrigerator/freezer & lights for two nights before needing to recharge the batteries. We turn the bunk warmer on HIGH for about an hour before we turn in for the night, then turn to LOW for the rest of the night.

Electro Warmth - LINK