Attaching camp stove to outside propane hookup

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by maryloucb, Jun 19, 2020.

1. maryloucb

maryloucb Member

I am looking at buying an outside camp stove that I can hookup to the already present outside propane hookup. I'm thinking about a Camp Chef of some sort. Will I need an adapter in order to make that work? Is the outside propane hookup high pressure or low pressure? Does anyone have a setup that they like and would recommend? Thanks!

2. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

The outside propanr hook up is most likely low pressure. There are few good options for low pressure stoves. What I did was put a tee in the line between one of my tanks and the auto switching regulator. I then ran a new high pressure hose under the camper, up through the floor in a cabinet and out through the hatch for the low pressure line. I can then use my coleman propane stove without having to bring along one pound bottles.

3. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Any campchef stove can be adapted over to use low pressure system by removing its regulator and installing a QD fitting. Same with a grill such as a Weberq. The appliances that can't have the regulator built into the controls.

I believe some older popups, coleman maybe, used a high pressure system and in that case you would tap into a high pressure line somewhere with a qd or spin on fitting. Spin on as in the same a 1lb mini tank has, and then leave the appliance regulator in place.

myride likes this.
  4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

FYI.. The QD's used on trailers 1) are not the same as the pneumatic ones used for air tools and 2) if the trailer has a QD fitting then the propane suppliesd is low pressure (lp). An High Pressure fitting will be the screw on type.

Sjm9911, myride and tombiasi like this.
  5. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

I have just read thru this thread twice! I have 2 low pressure quick connect lp gas lines/hose on the side of my p-up. Am I reading it right as in I can buy an attachment, that attaches to my generic Coleman 2 burner camp stove and run it off the gas on the p-up? If this is the case that would be great [:D]

6. maryloucb

maryloucb Member

This is what I'm trying to figure out! I don't want to have to carry extra propane since I already have 2 20lb tanks on the pup! But all the info I have seen is kind of confusing.

7. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

This is what info I can find on this, looks like we can't attach a regular camp stove but we can attach a grill.

This was copied from another forum I subscribe to -

I'll state again... I have had NO luck converting a STOVE to low pressure and resorted to buying a STOVE that was built specifically for low pressure.

Most GRILLS are designed to use about 0.5 psi of propane pressure at 11" WC (water column) delivered by their attached regulator. (the device between the little green bottle and the grill)

Since your low pressure quick connect on the R/V is ALREADY regulated by the regulator at the LP tank to 0.5 psi and 11" WC, you must remove the appliance's regulator for it to work off the R/Vs quick connect. (you can't regulate it twice)

Unfortunately, many of the camp STOVES use a much higher regulated pressure (around 15 psi) so removing the appliance's regulator and then using the low pressure quick connect, it simply doesn't produce enough LP for the STOVE to work.

GRILLS are easily converted.
    There are many types of adapters for the many different grills out there.

Again, there are MANY threads here about GRILL conversions.
    Here is one such adapter.
    Low Pressure 1/4" RV Conversion Fitting Adapter

8. maryloucb

maryloucb Member

9. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

Almost all stoves that come with campers currently and past are low pressure ones, so find one from an old camper, buy one new.... If the stove hooks up to a one lb lp bottle or 20 lb tank directly, then it is high pressure and has its own internal regulator, so would need modification to run off the low pressure line.

10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have the following that hook up to my low pressure quick connect:

Coleman Road Trip grill
    Weber Q1200 BBQ
    Camp Chef Weekender stove

I also have a a Camp Chef oven/stove combo unit I think will also work, but I haven’t had the chance to look into it.

Most low pressure stuff will work fine. What does not work is your typical Coleman camp stove - those all run off high pressure, so they will not work. The Camp Chef Mountain series stuff will not work (Everest, Rainer, etc) but I believe their larger base camp/expedition type stoves will work. However, those get big quick, and as much as I would like one they take up too much space for pup camping.

The Blackstone griddles will also work. I have the 17” single burner, and plan to order the adapter kit for it.

I got rid of my factory stove - it was heavy, bulky, took up more space and blew out iif you sneezed in it’s general direction. My first mod was the Road Trip, which is an excellent stove. I have the older blue model, along with cast iron grill plates, griddle plates and stove inserts. It does a great job, but it is large, and is not great at boiling water. Although the burners are recessed pretty well, it takes forever to boil a crab pot or something similar in size.

I got the Camp Chef Weekender because it was about ideal for my needs. We use the big 3-burner units in my son’s scout troop, and it works great. I wanted something similar for my use, but on a smaller scale. The Weekender still has ample room for large skillets or pots, is plenty powerful, and has decent wind resistance. I also got some steel flame tamers as well, so I can simmer and control the heat much better than before.

The Weber was an end of season Target clearance find. For $50 I could not pass it up. It is an excellent BBQ, and they also make a griddle insert as well. I have not used it that way, but a buddy has one and loves it.

The Blackstone was another clearance find at Target some years back, and I use it a lot. It makes great breakfast sandwiches, pancakes, fried eggs, fajitas, burgers, grillled cheese, etc. It is the perfect size for my son and I, and even if my wife joined us we would still be OK. I do have the 22” version though for the house and larger group cooking needs, if I need it.

I do all my cooking outside obviously. I set up the awning and screen room, and turn it into a kitchen. If things look really windy I’ll take my Coleman EZ-Up, and set it up close with screens and wind walls, and guy it out nice and solid. I thought about using the old mount on the pup for something, but the way I cook it made little sense to do so. I have a couple camp kitchens that I use, chuck boxes and various camp tables. My favorite is an old REI table that has adjustable legs and will hold 75 lbs or so. I can get them pretty level, set my chuck box on top with the stove on top of that. This way I am cooking at an almost ideal height, and have all my utensils, spices and cooking stuff right there.

tarawes8182 likes this.
  11. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

The Camp Chef Weekender with their RV connection hose is the easiest hookup you'll find for the low pressure outlet on your pup.

12. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Let's unconfuse you [:D]
    Those round odd shaped things that attach at your tanks are pressure regulators. [​IMG]

They take the high pressure from the tank and reduce it for use. Those 1 LB disposable tanks do not have a regulator so any devices using them have to regulate the pressure themselves. If you look on the classic Coleman stove the metal rod looking thing that spins on before the tank is the regulator.
    [​IMG]

You don's want to use both regulators. It's like wearing belts and suspenders only in this case it lowers the flow too much and your flame will not be hot enough. So most of the modifications you will read about involve removing the regulator from the device. You also have to connect from the quick disconnect to the device (stove/grill/etc).

I hope that helps.

13. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Isn't the campchef weekender a high pressure stove?

14. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

No, it's low pressure.

15. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Thanks

16. maryloucb

maryloucb Member

Thank you-I am unconfused! I understand the high pressure/low pressure concept, I was just having a hard time figuring out which camp stoves were compatible with low pressure. We have an old Coleman dual fuel camp stove that you pump up to pressurize, so I’m not very familiar with propane camp stoves. I just ordered a Coleman NXT Voyager. I think that will do the trick.

17. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I was writing with a general audience in mind. It seems like it is one of the five biggest questions that get's asked.

My problem is I am almost always using both my grill and stove but have only had one hookup.

18. maryloucb

maryloucb Member

Your information is very helpful! Thank you!

19. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I bring a 20 lb bottle with me, and hook up anything. Much easier to use, and to fill up since my biggist propane useage is for cooking.

20. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Coleman stoves use 15 psi regulated high pressure. Many a campchef stoves use 11" wc or ~.5 psi regualted pressure. Campchef 'portable' that are similar to a coleman are regulated HP. Grills are mostly (if not all) regulated low pressure ~.5 psi. The reg on a few grills can not be removed and therefore need higher input pressure.

Your NXT should work fine "this grill also comes with a 10-ft. quick connect hose, so you easily hook into your RV's low-pressure propane system, giving you the ability to avoid packing extra bottles of propane while you're out on the road. "