Attaching pop up gizmos

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Beth, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Beth

Beth Member

I have the pop up gizmos (I think the basic ones, I know they are not the high wind version.)
    I had put a strip of velcro on them and a strip inside the roof, but with the heat, the velcro came loose from inside the roof.

Do you think if I'd put the velcro that was under the roof on a pool noodle (I know...I'm cheap!), and slip that up under the roof as I'm cranking it up, that would work?
    When tearing down, the gizmos would roll up on the noodle and get tossed inside.

What do you think??

Beth

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

What is the roof edge made of? We had to use staples on the roof Velcro strip, the self-stick does not last well in our climate; I've seen references to others using staples too. I ended up sewing the Velcro on the PUG also, as the pieces detached from that too; what didn't detach after cold weather turned gummy and slid off in hot. Sewing through self-stick is not good, but we'd only used short pieces, so I was able to sew long strips between the sticky spots.

I don't know if the swimming noodle would work on your pup, but on our pup, there would not be room for the noodle under the roof edge without creating strain. And, if you're having trouble with self-stick Velcro, it may come off the PUGs or noodles after a while. The texture of the roof piece may just be such that it detached there first.

We're sort of used to having to mod self-stick Velcro; I've decided it is pretty useless, at least in our climate. We had industrial strength come away from the adhesive in the previous pup, as well as smaller Velcro dots we'd used in it. We just had to replace the factory Velcro at the top of the door, where the tenting attaches, as it came loose too -and the pup is a '10. We didn't even attempt self-stick, we used plain Velcro and epoxied it to the metal.

3. Tekboy46

Tekboy46 Member

We hold our home made bunk covers on with a set of the miniature bungees. They're about 8 inches long or so. I wrap one around the top of the lift tower and put both end hooks in a grommet on the bunk cover. They've held up in some fairly serious thunderstorms... if there's weather coming I use two bungees for each corner. I hook 2 or 3 of the bungees together to make longer ones to hold down the sides, and I use a few more to attach the cover to the underside of the bunk. I got tired of messing with the melting glue on the self stick velcro. Sorry about the quality of this pic, but this is the only one I have where you can make out (barely) a little bungee holding the cover onto a lift tower.
    [​IMG]

I tuck the upper edge of the bunk cover between the roof and canvas; after the bungees are on it stays tucked up in there and I don't really need to have it attached to the roof itself. It's never blown out of there even in a thunderstorm.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

On the previous pup ('84 Palomino), the PUG would stay nicely between the bunk and roof. Doesn't work as well with the Cobalt, and we wanted to make sure they stay all the way to the top of the bunk roofs., hence the Velcro. (Sew on really does work so much better!)

5. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I ended up using contact cement to hold the Velcro to the inside of the PUP's roof. It is plywood, and I thought about using staples, but I avoid putting anything into the roof if I don't have to.

As other have stated, the self-adhesive will give out. Actually, I used the industrial/commercial version and it was actually the wood that pulled away. There were little splinters of wood stuck to the adhesive on the back of the Velcro.

I applied standard contact cement to the wood and to the back of the Velcro, waited about five minutes and stuck it on there. It hasn't come loose at all. I did the same on the PUG's Velcro too. Works great.

I also do not ever detach my PUGs, so maybe the constant pulling of doing so might break down the contact cement.

6. Theblindlady

Theblindlady Member

I haven't gotten my PUG yet but I have been thinking about to attach them. I have used heavy duty snaps on several other things on my PU and I think I am going to use them on this too. So far they have worked great every place I have used them.

7. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I kind of almost learned a lesson the hard way, and I'll try to apply it to your idea of the snaps.

I used the spring clamps down the edges and the stretch cord to get everything positioned before deciding on where to place the long velcro strips. All looked good. But I did my work of actually attaching when the PUP roof was open only about 2 feet, for obvious reasons of being able to reach it and do the work. I have the High Wind version.

When I cranked it all up, put out the shepherds poles on the bunk ends, I tore off the velcro as there was just too much tension when setting it up. If I had used snaps, I probably would have torn the PUGs significantly.

The way to avoid that: undo the clamps (if you have them) before raising the roof and putting in the shepherds poles. This will allow the "give" needed. THEN snug it all back down with the clamps and

8. Beth

Beth Member

Thanks. I am getting ready to open the pup again this evening and the weather is supposed to be great thru the weekend, so I'm hoping to get a few things done to it before our Labor Day weekend trip....Including adding sweatshirts!! YAY!! (Love the warm days and the sweatshirt nights!!) (Oh...and our campfire ban has been lifted, so we can sit by the fire in our sweatshirts now! DOUBLE YAY!!)

Beth

9. The Manchacan

The Manchacan New Member

I like those too, but won't get them until November. It's called "winter" here in Texas.

10. rms62003

rms62003 New Member

Hmph, if you don't get snow, you don't know the meaning of winter [LOL]

11. TentOnWheelsTX

TentOnWheelsTX New Member

I gotta agree with RMS on that one... We don't get winter in Texas, but we do have four seasons: Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer, and Christmas.

I industrial-strength Velcro'd my Pugs, us a few staples, and like Bondebond said, I never un-install them. They just get pushed in with the canvas when we strike camp.

I am curious to see how the glue held up after being in the hot Houston, TX garage all summer.

12. Appfan

Appfan New Member

I'm curious, have you ever checked under your gizmos? I had some water get trapped in one end and it looked like a bit of mold started up pretty quick. Then again we live in NC, where the humidity may be a touch higher.

13. bondebond

bondebond New Member

After four years of being on continuously, I pulled the PUGs off of my first PUP this year. The vinyl was in pristine condition, because A) I made sure it was that way before I installed them and B) always make sure it's dry for storage.
    I also am paranoid about mold after getting a little spot on an inside corner of a bunk end from condensation one time, so I open up at home if there's been any moisture during the trip. Arkansas, at least the part I live/camp in, is quite humid, so I don't think I'm so paranoid.

The PUGs actually protected the vinyl from sap, bird mess and other "hazards", so if you can keep it dry under there, you shouldn't need to take them off. I do look up under there about once a year to make sure something isn't wrong. One of the keys to keeping water out is to make sure that edge along the top that is next to the roof line is actually up UNDER the roof. That way, heavy condensation and rain roll off the roof and straight onto the PUG. Water doesn't have a path to get under it unless driving winds or other abnormal conditions exist. That's where the velcro strips come into play. They keep that top edge anchored up under the roof edge.

Just my [2C]

14. TentOnWheelsTX

TentOnWheelsTX New Member

Oh boy. Never thought of that.

One more thing to add to the checklist before we head out first of the fall season.

I'll let y'all know what I find.

15. Appfan

Appfan New Member

Good points Bond. I'm reworking how mine attach this weekend. Moving the velcro down to just under the lip of the roof.