Attaching propane to trailer

Discussion in 'Mystery Parts' started by jmcelvoy, Aug 25, 2014.

1. jmcelvoy

jmcelvoy Member

2. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

2 of the Coleman J hokes should work just fine. The bigger question is to, do you realy need 2 tanks? That is 40lbs of extra tongue weight.

3. jmcelvoy

jmcelvoy Member

Don't know that I need 2 right now, but don't want to buy something now and need something different later. If I can get a setup that will hold 2 tanks, I can get it but don't have to use 2 tanks...but I can if I need to.

4. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

On my Apache it had only 1 tank to feed a heater and stove. A PO removed all but the base and I need to replace the base anyway so I am getting 2 tanks even if I leave 1 tank empty.

I am also going with a 2 tank auto switchover regulator with the assorted hardware to go with it.

Jerry in MA

5. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

The tray and bar set up from etrailer is what is on our Chalet, and I like it very much. Keeps two bottles secure even on four digit USFS roads. Did modify slightly by reinforcing connection of threaded rod to tray with fender washers and an extra nut.

6. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

You got it. The unit from etrailer is all you need. Nice and secure.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We actually have the j-hooks and the double rack with the auto-changeover set-up. We got just the second tank at first, so had the two set of j-hooks, we soon added the base and changeover, and decided to keep it all.The tanks are a bit of a pain to remove for re-filling, but they sure stay in place well on the bumpy roads we are known to drive.

Each person needs to answer for themselves if they need two tanks. Some people seem to use one for items connected to the pup itself, and the second for lanterns, stoves (of a different pressure than the inside/outside ones) or campfires.

We have appreciated having the two tanks with an auto-changeover, especially on longer trips and/or my solo ones. We tend to dry camp, and the pup has extended our season, so we use the furnace on most trips. (Even in the summer, the mountains can get chilly and or damp enough to appreciate the heat, even for one or two cycles of the furnace.) We chose the two tank set-up when we bought the Cobalt, we had not had a furnace before and did not know how much we'd use it nor how much gas it would burn. We had 6" of snow on our third trip with it, the furnace was a hit, but we realized the auto-changeover would have been handy, so added it before the next season.

8. Darn

Darn Pup to Hybrid

[LOL] [LOL] Both of mine are typically only half full by the second time we go camping, so I guess that's the same weight as only one? [LOL] [LOL]

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I have two propane cylinders and use the tray system pictured in your (OP's) first link. It works fine and I'm satisfied with it.

Two propane cylinders come in handy when you are camping where it gets chilly at night because the furnace is a big consumer of propane, burning about one pound for every hour of actual burn. At the Grand Canyon last May I encountered nights in the mid-20s and low 30s.

10. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

I just installed the dual tank system from etrailer. I'd rather have 2 tanks and not need them, rather than wish I had a second tank. I'm looking at a 10 day trip to Colorado next year. I don't want to have to look for propane while traveling.

11. steveandjanelle

steveandjanelle New Member

Here's another vote for the tray system from etrailer. I added it it to my rig, along with the automatic switch-over valve and it has worked great. No more waking up shivering and changing out the tank in the middle of the night. Wouldn't be without it.

Steve

12. davido

davido Well-Known Member

I believe two tanks is worth the weight.

The furnace can consume enough that for longer trips the second tank can become necessary in cold weather.

For all other times, I just burn the first tank, and don't worry about refilling it until I've switched over to the second tank. Eventually I'll get that first tank refilled, and then don't worry about propane again until the second one is empty, at which time I switch back to the first and refill the second.

It's peace of mind, and one less thing to cross off the list each time we camp. If I had only one tank I would be prone to wanting to refill it after every trip, even if it's only partially depleted.

13. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Totally agree and share the same thoughts.

14. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

If you are camping with electricity, the space heaters work very good and circulate the air thru the popup better than the furnace would.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

15. ripopuptwins

ripopuptwins It's All Good

Go for it. The e trailer tray with an auto change over regulator is an awesome set.
    As others have said,I would rather have it and not need it that need it and not have it.

16. R00

R00 Active Member

I'm ready to pull the trigger on this setup. I have in my cart part #1801 Manchester dual tank rack and part #CAM59005 automatic changeover regulator. My question is, do I need any short hoses to complete the setup? I most likely do, and would appreciate if anyone can recommend (from etrailer) the hoses I need? Thanks in advance!

/R00

17. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Do you have the short hoses that go from tanks to regulator ? or regulator to the line/hose feeding the rest of the trailer ?

18. R00

R00 Active Member

I have one hose coming from inside the trailer to a dual stage regulator ending in a tank fitting.

I believe I need two of these, alongside the regulator I listed:

CAM59053

Basically, I'm ordering the 2-tank tray, the auto-change regulator, and the 2 12" hoses. I think. :)

19. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Sounds like that will work ...

20. JeffC

JeffC New Member

We use the furnace on board and like two tanks as well. The POs had a little electric heater in it, but it doesn't move enough air to heat the whole pup up. They didn't like the noise which strikes me as funny when you're sleeping in canvas! We usually don't have electricity and don't really need it with two tanks.