ATV or powered trailer dolly to park camper?

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
I live in "the mountains" and have been to many parts of the NC mountains.
Not every house is on hill with a treacherous driveway.

Last edited:

generok

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
I moved my PUP around my property, mostly in and out of winter storage area with my Ranger side x side all the time. No issues at all doing it. The shorter wheelbase and tighter turn radius of the side x side allowed me to get it into the back yard and through the gate easier. Not an option for my current TH, but it worked great for the PUP.

TRACY GROMER

Jun 20, 2018
Phoenix, Arizona
Is there a reason it needs to be powered? I guess if it's on a hill. If you wind up with a flat property, you might try a regular non-powered trailer dolly. I moved my pop ups by hand and now move my Scamp 13 around with nothing but a regular trailer dolly. And I'm a small 59 yo female. Just a thought. Best of luck whatever you decided.

Arlyn Aronson

Super Active Member
Jun 11, 2014
Houghton, MI
Is there a reason it needs to be powered? I guess if it's on a hill. If you wind up with a flat property, you might try a regular non-powered trailer dolly. I moved my pop ups by hand and now move my Scamp 13 around with nothing but a regular trailer dolly. And I'm a small 59 yo female. Just a thought. Best of luck whatever you decided.
If your camper weights X and you are in grass and even gravel for that matter, they can be buggers to move hand, on the flat land..

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
Snow, could you describe how you hooked up to your dad's 14 hp lawn tractor? My 19 hp just spins its tires on a level concrete driveway when I hook up to my manual trailer dolly attached to the 2400 lb Starcraft. I guess the dolly doesn't transfer enough tongue weight to the mower, and I can't see how to attach a ball directly to the mower.

The trailer is parked on a crushed rock pad by the driveway and it's hard to get it rolling. Once on the concrete driveway I can move it around on the tongue wheel.

Last edited:

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Snow, could you describe how you hooked up to your dad's 14 hp lawn tractor? My 19 hp just spins its tires on a level concrete driveway when I hook up to my manual trailer dolly attached to the 2400 lb Starcraft. I guess the dolly doesn't transfer enough tongue weight to the mower, and I can't see how to attach a ball directly to the mower.
Dropped right onto a ball mounted on the tractor.. nothing special..

PilotJohnPE

Jul 20, 2017
I made a front hitch for my 92 Dodge Dakota, very helpful in maneuvering a trailer. We put hitches on the front of our tractors on the farm to maneuver hay wagons into the barn, that's how I learned the value of a front mounted hitch.

Also mounted an electric winch to the garage floor, using it and a cheap trailer dolly pulls the popup into garage easily (my dad uses one to pull his airplane into the hanger).

Jul 30, 2018
My dad has this on his double-shell fiberglass trailer, and I've got one in the garage waiting for post-season installation on my 2006 Fleetwood Niagara:

Claims to be good for 10 degree slopes with a 5000lb load.

soter01

Aug 5, 2011
We will be moving to the NC mountains soon and some of the properties we're looking at have less options for turning my pop up around so I can back it into the garage or wherever it would be parked. Some have driveways I could back into from the street but driveways are long and curvy and I wouldn't want to back up the camper the whole way. Does anyone here have any experience with using an ATV or powered trailer dolly for turning a PUP around in a tight spot? And hills, oh boy no way would I feel comfortable going up any grade at all with a powered dolly! It would have to be flat for sure. I dreamed up a huge lazy Susan idea I could drive onto, then pull the tow vehicle off and then turn the PUP on the lazy Susan but wow that would be quite the project lol! Any ideas out there? Thanks!
I use a Trailer Valet. It works great and takes up very little room. The safety brake makes uphill moves safe. https://trailervalet.com/products/

Jul 30, 2018
I use a Trailer Valet. It works great and takes up very little room. The safety brake makes uphill moves safe. https://trailervalet.com/products/
My dad started out with a single-wheel dolly like that, the problem was he couldn't maintain traction because the tongue weight is only a fraction of the total. Even a few degrees slope and it would slip out and require major pushing to keep going, if at all. It's possible the Trailer Valet has more traction, but it's still limited by the tongue weight. That's why I ordered the Enduro (above), because it uses the ~90% of the trailer weight that's on the main wheels for traction rather than the ~10% that's on the tongue.

ChrisS_NC

May 30, 2015
I used to move our 3600lb PUP with my old 48V golf cart. I didn't tow any distance but I shuttled it into the backyard with it as it was only rated to 600lbs. I did have to build a custom hitch for the golf cart.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
My dad has this on his double-shell fiberglass trailer, and I've got one in the garage waiting for post-season installation on my 2006 Fleetwood Niagara:

Claims to be good for 10 degree slopes with a 5000lb load.

That is something I have looked into before, and would love to get one for mine. My neighbors put up a gate across their driveway which makes it damn near impossible to maneuver my pup into place the way I used to. I have access to a trailer valet but have not yet had the chance to try it out. I do have an incline to deal with, and experience with the valet on our troop trailer is it sucks with any sort of incline unless you have a heavy tongue weight. The Enduro would solve all my problems I think. They are super common in Europe and Australia.

Nancy Deak

May 6, 2019
When I was younger, my mother would push their pup by hand up a steep and curvy driveway. My father couldn’t help because he had a major stroke. A few years ago we got our pup stuck at a dead end in a campground and couldn’t get turned around. (The park employee led us down the wrong path.) We spent the night there and the park person said he would be back.

In the morning we surveyed the situation. I suggested to my husband that we try to move it by hand. He looked at me like I was crazy. Our pup was very large with a pull-out and fully loaded, weighing well over 3,000 pounds and was on grass. Finally convinced him to try it and low and behold, it worked. We unhitched the pup and started pushing. It was quite easy and successful.

You might try this and see if it works for you. There is also a manual trailer pusher you can buy and it is quite affordable.

Dec 3, 2017
We will be moving to the NC mountains soon and some of the properties we're looking at have less options for turning my pop up around so I can back it into the garage or wherever it would be parked. Some have driveways I could back into from the street but driveways are long and curvy and I wouldn't want to back up the camper the whole way. Does anyone here have any experience with using an ATV or powered trailer dolly for turning a PUP around in a tight spot? And hills, oh boy no way would I feel comfortable going up any grade at all with a powered dolly! It would have to be flat for sure. I dreamed up a huge lazy Susan idea I could drive onto, then pull the tow vehicle off and then turn the PUP on the lazy Susan but wow that would be quite the project lol! Any ideas out there? Thanks!
If budget is your main concern, like a few others, I would suggest you look into a bolt on receiver hitch for the front of your tow vehicle. You would benefit from practice pushing your pup in a parking lot first so you understand how much more responsive pushing is rather than backing using mirrors. Front receivers are not very expensive. You can Google to find them or dealers like eTrailer should have one designed especially for you.