Atwood furnace question for Fleetwood Niagara

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Hearty Sarsoza, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Hearty Sarsoza

Hearty Sarsoza Member

So we were camping in Oklahoma this weekend and my furnace just stopped working in the middle of the night. We reached home last night and today I tried to troubleshoot for problem but it seems to work just fine. I left it on for 15 mins and had no issues. Question for the experts: we were also running 2 small electric heaters at the same time inside the pop up (yes it was too cold last Friday), could that be the reason why my furnace was turning off? I couldn't think of a reason. Thermostat might have been detecting my electric heaters that's why my furnace would turn off.

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

It's possible. My thermostat is an old fashioned kind so it's difficult to set the temp and sure not very accurate. So if the thermostat thought you were at the temperature it's set it will turn off. However once it gets like 10 degrees cooler it should turn back on. One of the reasons I use electric heater is so I can save on propane but the furnace will kick on if the electric heater can't keep up. It's tough in a popup though because the bunk ends are cooler than the main cabin where the thermostat is. So it's possible where the thermostat was was warmer than it really is. Some people put the thermostat on a longer cord so they can move it away from the floor and corner to get a bit more accurate reading. The problem about the furnace is it blows down on the floor, right where the thermostat is so it turns off before it really is warm where you need it.

3. Hearty Sarsoza

Hearty Sarsoza Member

Makes sense to me. Thanks jmkay1

4. Hearty Sarsoza

Hearty Sarsoza Member

I changed my thermostat to a digital one hope it can help fix the issue.

5. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

It's probably the extra heaters that kept your furnace from running. The T-stat sensed the temp in the unit was OK and did not fire up the furnace. I used an electric heater this past weekend to supplement the furnace in our HTT and it kept the unit comfortable. Saved on propane that way too.

Sjm9911 and Hearty Sarsoza like this.
  6. Hearty Sarsoza

Hearty Sarsoza Member

Thank you

7. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Agreed on the issue with the space heaters tricking the T stat...

Kind of wondering why you were running both the furnace and space heaters. Assuming it was all running and not shutting off, your camper should have been an oven by the time all was said and done. Do you have excessive drafts in your camper? I know pop ups aren't exactly super insulated, but perhaps you might want to consider some insulators on the bunk ends and in the windows to help keep the heat in in the winter...

Different people handle temps differently. We are getting an arctic blast right now, and I am running heat at home at 67 deg F and am happy as a clam. My wife however is finding the temp somewhat annoying and wants me to turn the heat up a touch to 70...

There are a TON of things to do to keep warm in a camper that aren't directly heater related. Put a hot water bottle in bed with you, Have a sleep partner, wear warmer clothing etc...

If you want to keep it inside the house warm of course, insulate, and either run the space heaters, OR the furnace.