Atwood Heater Fires Up Keeps Cycling On And Off While Fan Blows

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by BigDano, Jan 6, 2020.

1. BigDano

BigDano New Member

Guys I am really in a pickle. I just bought this 2010 Coleman Bayside so my wife and I could enjoy camping together paid a pretty penny for it and things keep going wrong.

I have an Atwood 7916-II furnace.. last night it worked ok.

I am in the middle of camping as we speak it is getting down to 31 tonight and my furnace will start blowing, I can hear it fire up, then 5 seconds later combustion shuts off, furnace continues to blow, and it continues to repeat itself over and over. I have the one light blinking that apparently indicates potential airflow problem. I don’t know what to do. Could it be a wall thermostat issue? I was thinking about upgrading to digital. I checked that I have propane to camping stove and it lights up fine and I just had tanks filled. Man this sucks. I pulled off external vent cover and saw small wasp nest got that out but it’s still cycling.

freezing my off.

dan

Attached Files:

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

mpking likes this.
  3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Your T-stat has nothing to do with an airflow problem. Sounds like you need to do more cleaning

Raycfe likes this.
  4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

check the L P if low or out it can cause the same symptoms , other than that I agree with joet

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Also something I noticed on mine. There may be enough propane for your stove but not the furnace. You do go through propane fast when using the furnace. So if you used the furnace the first night it's possible you are low. Although usually I get a couple nights on a tank.

6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

Only two nights !!??

7. BigDano

BigDano New Member

I cut in the other tank and it stayed on. Do you guys really think I would have burned through a tank of propane in one night? That seems like a lot of propane for one night. It was on the entire night.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

depends on how hot you keep it and how cold it is outside. Depends on how many times it cycles on. I first kept it on all day at about 65 ish and it was only 30 degrees outside. I now know to be far more conservative. I treated it like a house furnace not thinking the canvas is not as insulated and therefore it has to cycle on far more often.
    Lesson learned on my part. The learning curve is steep, but once you get the bugs worked out, and you get the process down it's far easier.

9. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

I'd be more worried about my battery if the blower ran all night. Your furnace is going to use 3.4 amps per hour of run time.

neighbormike likes this.
  10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

You will use about a pound per every hour running.

neighbormike likes this.
  11. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

At 30 degrees and with the stat set at 68 degrees. we get about 36 hours out of a full 20 tank. If it is an exchange tank which is only 15 lbs, I would expect about 26 hours.