Atwood legs better than OEM Coleman?

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by richardm311, Jun 26, 2016.

1. richardm311

richardm311 New Member

I have to replace the legs again because they keep bending. Will i have better luck with the Atwood, or are they just as crappy?

Any upgrade to a screw type stabilizer jack on a 90's Coleman?

2. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Are you using these for leveling, or just stabilizing? It would be uncommon to constantly bend stabilizers.
    When I purchased my previous pup from a dealer (used) it had rear stabilizers only and they were the old style. I had the dealer install 4 crank down style stabs, one on each corner. They just used large self tapping screws to attach them to the trailer frame. They worked great for the 7 years I owned the trailer.

3. richardm311

richardm311 New Member

I often camp at unlevel sites so they get used for leveling more than I would like.

So the screw stabs were drilled into the frame at just a good
    Location or was there more to it?

4. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

The stabilizers aren't meant for leveling the camper. They are only meant to stabilize, once the camper tires are leveled, by using Lynx blocks, a BAL leveler, Anderson leveler or wood blocks.

5. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Stabilizers are not designed or meant to be used for leveling. Also, this will put a lot of stress on your frame.
    I level my camper side to side by parking on wood planks of various thickness. Then I level it front to back using the tongue jack. After that, I snug the stabs to the ground.
    The screw stabs were fastened in each corner so that its attached to both the side and either the front or back of the frame.