Audra State Park

Discussion in 'West Virginia' started by WVhillbilly, Oct 5, 2019.

1. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

20191003_150852.jpg 20191003_150918.jpg 20191003_150846.jpg 20191003_161312.jpg We ran down there for an overnight Thursday.
    To start with, I'm not a fan of the WV reservation system. Took three phone calls to actually reserve a site, I didn't get the reservation email until after I got home from the trip.
    Campground is nice, pretty well shaded on most spots and none are far from the river.
    Nice hiking trail at the park entrance as well.
    Camp store is nice, and we got burgers at a place not far from the campground.
    There are a couple water stations to fill your tank near the CG store.
    The bad?
    I think that about 8 sites out of 67 are level, and if the CG gets busy you'll have close neighbors.
    We were in site 40, at the end of the loop.
    It's not awful, but even after picking the most level part of the site I needed almost all of my BAL leveler on the low side to level, and if I wouldn't have had blocks to put under the jacks they wouldn't have reached the ground on the back.
    Not terrible, but be prepared.
    Some of the higher numbered sites looked better, but they are farther away from the river if that matters to you. Only a couple hundred feet farther, but also seem to be spaced farther apart.
    They are also smaller, but nothing you couldn't get a pop up into.
    We'll shoot for site 47 if we go again I think.

Orchid, Overland and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Just a thought with Holly River.
    There are 88 sites, and all 88 are now reserve able up to a year in advance. I am told that all WV parks are like this now.
    Audra is close to everything (Buckhannon, Elkins and US33) and in the peak months stays full. A little farther up the river is Middle Fork GC, a private GC.

3. WVhillbilly

We saw Middle Fork on the way in. Looks nice.
    If I don't have work next week we want to get a couple days in somewhere else in WV.

4. Overland

Overland Active Member

Hillbilly, what product is that under your stabilizers? Never seen those before..

5. WVhillbilly

Overland likes this.
  6. Overland

Overland Active Member

Exactly.. these look much beefier than the bed supports some are using.

Picked up some Lynx levelers but my pup is tall as well, i'll use those for the wheels and this product for my 4 stabilizers.

Thanks Sir!

WVhillbilly likes this.
  7. 95Rio

95Rio Member

What would be the best number site to get if we want to be close to the river and near bathrooms? 47 is available for our trip in 2 weeks. We have kids and they would like being near the water to fish/play.
    Thanks

8. WVhillbilly

Right now there isn't much water in the river.
    The site we had (40) was close to a nice swimming spot, and not terribly far from the bathrooms.

None of the sites are very far from the water, as it's a riverside campground.
    If you click on the map here https://wvstateparks.com/places-to-stay/campgrounds/audra-camping/ it pops up the campground layout. Moving your cursor over each site gives you the number.
    47 is right across from the bathroom.
    This is a good website as well. https://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/wv/audra-state-park/photos/audra-state-park-047
    Showing a picture of the actual site.