August 2017 Solar Eclipse

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by sea-piner, Oct 22, 2016.

1. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We've had plans to meet up with friends for the eclipse for a couple of years. It's a great excuse for us to revisit the Yellowstone and Teton area, plus my husband has some backpacking he wants to do in the Wind River Range. We're still in the planning stages. We probably won't actually camp together for more than a couple of days, or may just meet up for the day of the eclipse.

There are some older, pretty inactive threads, here's one:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=37.0

Here's a recent one:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=108772.msg1096496#msg1096496

3. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

Thanks for the link--I saw the second one, but not the first! We are trying to decide between the Oregon coast or the cascade mountains. I am trying to talk my wife into climbing mount Jefferson, but then the kids couldn't come [V].

http://www.summitpost.org/mount-jefferson/150576

I think the coast might be a little crazy as it is the first place the eclipse hits and I am paranoid about the crowds and potential crazy people...

4. kitphantom

I'm not sure how the crowds will be for this event. I mention it to people and most seem to think its interesting, but not worth pursuing. This may be one of those events where the people who are really interested in it are already planning, or planning to plan, and there will be a contingent that gets going once the publicity ramps up closer to time. Crowds are not one of the things I enjoy, but at least outside is better than in an enclosed space. (I manage going to the Balloon Fiesta because it's outdoors and I know how to skirt the edges of the crowd as necessary.)

Your post gave me another nudge at looking at our choices. Our friends chose Grand Teton NP as the area they wanted to visit to view the eclipse, and mentioned it to us at least a couple of years ago. They live in AZ and we live in NM, so we could have chosen a few places to go. (If we'd wanted to do an off-schedule visit to my MIL, we could have headed east.) As I said, it's a good chance to revisit the area. Our friends will be taking longer vacation than we do, so we are trying to plan a little more than they will. (As it is, our personalities are such that my husband and I tend to plan more closely and make many more reservations than our friends do.)
    Once we started looking at our travel times, we decided that we want to have two campgrounds while we're in the region. First will be near the Wind River Range, where DH has a long backpack tentatively planned. We had hoped the second one would be in the Tetons. The one reservable place we wanted (Colter Bay) seemed to not have site availability. That concessionaire's reservation site wasn't easy to use, it seemed like we had to do step 2 before step 1. We found that there were plenty of sites available at Grant Village in Yellowstone (dry camping), so we made a reservation, We will continue to research, since we can cancel with a small penalty for quite some time yet. We're decided having a site there was better than not having one at all. DH camped in Yellowstone before we were married, but we camped in the Tetons on the two visits since then.

5. sea-piner

sea-piner Member

Love the wind river range! To far for us to go, but saw that the Eclipse would go over the northern part. I did a backpack trip there about 15 years ago to the cirque of the towers to climb. Lonesome lake is there a big fishing destination for the adventurous. We are looking at sites in the Detroit lake area of the cascades. If you do choose Oregon the reservations will be available about six months ahead, but check reserveamerica.com. they do the state parks....

6. kitphantom

It looks like the campground we stayed in a few years back, outside of Pinedale, is the best choice for us, now that we have the TT. Sure bet we can't use the site we had before - we had to use our smaller ground tent, and there was exactly one spot even that would fit in the site.
    We're going to get some other ideas, though, so we have options to discuss with our friends when we meet up to camp over Thanksgiving.
    We have more plans for this trip than ones earlier in the year!

7. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Believe there are a couple of Solar Eclipse Rallies planned. I am hoping to catch it in SC at Buck Hall

8. Gjburkey

Gjburkey Member

Just happens we get to see the eclipse from our own yard, as our house falls in the path of totality. Although would be fun to make a weekend of it at a campground.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

9. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

10. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

WOW watching a Total Solar Eclipse from the peak!!

11. kstephens

kstephens Member

I can't wait. I have some friends flying in from California for this. I live in Paducah - campgrounds here (land between the lakes area) already did a pre-reservation time for regulars - but I think they are open to the public.

12. 92coleman

92coleman New Member

Just made Eclipse reservations at Fall Creek Falls State Park in Tennessee and ordered Eclipse glasses from Amazon. I'm ready! [SUN]

13. xZoomerZx

xZoomerZx Active Member

Been planning on seeing this with my son for over a decade. Have another son that lives directly under the path of totality in Excelsior Springs, but if he moves beforehand, we are relocating to St. Joe, they are organizing a veiwing party at the airport. It lasts less than 3 minutes but its awesome.

14. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We plan to camp somewhere in the path.

Need to figure out what filter to get for my camera?

15. wmadoty

wmadoty Member

We will be camping somewhere in Southern Illinois. My mother owns property right in the center of the path of totality so we might just stay at her place. [PU]

16. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Guess I'll watch it too, but for the full effect have to drive 7 miles south.....
    From my place...
    [​IMG]

Seven miles south:
    [​IMG]

17. Justin91

Justin91 Member

We are definitely going camping in the eclipse path next year. Now to find a good location, It will have to be nearby because that will be the time school starts. We are thinking of camping at Mammoth Caves SP.

18. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

I'm tossing up about camping at the great smokey mountains but something tells me the crowd is going to be insane and would ruin the experience. Then again, this might be my only opportunity to experience it for myself. UGH. Then it depends if I'm able to get my camper and car repaired to make such a long journey.

19. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

20. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member