August 2019 - What did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Aug 1, 2019.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Here in central NM, we're still in summer heat and kids are beginning to head back to school, so I'm not sure where in the camping season that puts most of us.
    Here is the battery charge reminder for those needing it.

I realized that I left the windows wide open in the trailer yesterday, so checked to see that it had not rained in when we got a short downpour last evening. All good. I reset the max/min thermometer while I was inside, and plotted how to set up a work tables for a couple of projects I need to do in the next week. The TT makes a good place to work without feline "help", or distractions in the house.

Last night, so really July, made reservations for Courtenay to tent camp one night next week, on his way to meet up with two of his brothers in CO. It will be in an area we haven't camped before, so he can scope it out for future trips.

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Unfortunately I had to remove the battery off the pup to use it on my battery backup system for my sump pump. Good news is that I get to buy a new battery for the pup!

hayyward and kitphantom like this.
  3. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

Getting the pup ready for my trip on the 11 of August going to go see a nice zoo where you are the one in a cage then going back to les escoumins to spend a few days enjoying the scenery with my son, going to celebrate his birthday there as well, his idea.
    I just installed plugs on my light fixtures to accommodate plugging the fan/light combo.

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

New tie-downs for my Solar Panel.

5. kitphantom

I did some more cleaning and reorganizing. Even after only three trips so far this year (10-days plus two half-weeks), it was useful. I keep trying to refine what we take, and where it's packed. I discovered that one of my missing items was actually in the trailer, just not visible, nor easily accessible. Did not find the other missing item.
    I took most everything out of the under bed space, and moved the tables and door mat away from the outside access door; the trailer is parked so close to the garage that it's difficult to get into the storage area that way at home. Found that there's a nice dent in the paneling on the back wall, which I would not have seen if I'd accessed it from the outside. I suspect it happened in the same encounter with a huge speed bump that apparently cracked one of my Coleman tables, and turned on the storage area light we didn't even know we had. [Only took us 4-1/2 years to discover it.] I'm thinking we need to transport the Coleman tables elsewhere, and use the storage area for the roll-up ones, door mat, and other things that are more compact, and don't slide as easily. We have 5 tables, and on any given trip we use between two and all of them; when we set up an outdoor cooking area, two of the roll-up ones are tied up by that, and we often use another at meal times.
    To do all that, I managed to get my creaky, old, and not tiny self under the bed - twice. I may regret that tomorrow.

6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Every year we figure out what we really need as opposed to what we think we need! We usually remove stuff! So every year the pup is getting lighter!!! [LOL]

Be-Ce likes this.
  7. kitphantom

For us, it is complicated a bit because we take different types of trips, from using the TT in lieu of a hotel room, to dry camping an hour from the nearest town, as well as solo trips for me, including Sister on the Fly events. We have a few optional items that we need to remember to pack on trips when we need them - Instant Pot for Thanksgiving with friends, for example. One of the nice things about my next SOTF trip in a couple of weeks is that it's at a facility which is providing breakfast and dinner, so no potluck s this time.

eriefisher likes this.
  8. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Bought a weatherproof outlet to put on the curb side of our pup, but haven't installed it yet, too darn hot when I get off work.....hopefully soon.

s-l200.jpg

9. kitphantom

Courtenay got under the bed, and managed to staple the paneling that had loosened. We've decided to leave the hole in the back, since it's hard to reach.
    I got the tables back into the storage area, and put a tension rod at floor level, where the plate is for support behind the paneling, to try to keep things from sliding from one section of storage to the other.
    While my next trip isn't for 2 weeks, we ended up filling the fresh water tank on the TT today. We woke up to a leak in the front yard, and didn't know how long we'd have to have the water off, we thought we might need to use the toilet and sink in the trailer for most of the day. (Plumbers came pretty quickly, and it was done by noon.) Having it filled means it's easier to get some of the cleaning done - today we took off a/c filter and rinsed it. The a/c filter is one of those cleaning jobs we tend to forget about, but this time it wasn't too dirty.

Attached Files:

10. Bkay

Bkay New Member

Purchased PUP Thursday. Working on cleaning the canvas. Have to say the LA Totally Awesome is... Well Awesome. Super awesome since I purchased at the Dollar Tree. Tomorrow if my product arrives I will be conditioning all the vinyl.

Anyone have tips on how to clean the canvas inside? I know I can't just blast my hose inside. I'm guessing multiple buckets. Wash rinse repeat. I'm dealing with some mold/mildew issues. Zep was used in a few spots on the outside.

Attached Files:

11. Tracy R

Tracy R New Member

I just put in gas struts to hold the lid open on the seats. We store all our cookware in there, so are in and out alot. Got them on Amazon, made by Apexstone. Got the 10" ones, think these will be a game changer! :)

Attached Files:

Garrity likes this.
  12. eriefisher

eriefisher Member

Sisters On The Fly--Very cool!

kitphantom likes this.
  13. JLE

JLE Member

images.jpg We made a screen for our PUP door. I fixed up a magic mesh screen door ($20 at Walmart) to line the door and help fight off bugs. I cut back the sides of the mesh screen so it fits into the doorframe, and then resewed the outside seams back onto the mesh so it is reinforced all around the edges. I sewed the velcro onto the mesh on locations shown in directions.The mesh is attached by sticky-back velcro that is placed on the doorframe. Works great...magnets close the screen automatically after you walk through the door.
    PS: here are a few pictures of the finished product.

images.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019 at 5:16 PM
    Be-Ce and hayyward like this.
  14. lucky13don

lucky13don Active Member

Bought a 100w solar kit and charge controller to try to keep battery charged

Garrity likes this.
  15. Garrity

Garrity Member

Took ours out this weekend with just the boys and I. Flagstaff KOA and we had a good time. They started school this past Monday.

16. kitphantom

We finally got the shelves in my closet in the TT. We used one that we'd tried before, but it kept falling apart without enough weight on top of it, and one that we'd used in the popups. I'm sure I'll be playing with how to best use the space, but it's nice to have an option other than a pile of footwear on the floor, hard for me to reach. That aisle is narrow.

Attached Files:

17. kitphantom

I bought some interlocking foam pads to put in the under bed storage, which means I get to take the tables, etc. out again. It may help keep things from sliding, since we don't thing is wedged in place. It will also add some insulation when we camp in cold weather - though the hatch to the outside isn't insulated much. If I can add some of the leftover foam to that, we may try that too.
    I used the TT as a workroom for a couple of projects this week. No TV out there for a distraction, and I could leave things in progress without fear of feline revision. (I'm going to be teaching a quilt class at the SOTF event week after next, so was trying to get 20 kits put together, the camp is a long way away from quilting supplies.)
    New tires on the truck today, better than the originals (those had not quite 30K miles) for the places we go. I still hope the road is dry the days we tow in and out of the campground in CO for Labor Day week, part of it can be slimy when it's wet.

18. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

just finished packing her up for tomorrow's trip, can't wait to leave tomorrow morning, also just finished making a grey water bucket and hose.

19. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Repaired the swing-level galley. One side had lost the bolts holding the mechanism to the lower cabinet. Of course that happened while we were camping in Lake Superior Provincial Park.

20. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Spend the weekend cleaning and treating the roof. Painted the ac shoud black so it shows less dirt. Changed the toilet to foot operated and added a door to a cubby compartment in the rear wall. All loaded up and sparkling clean for Michigan trip later in the week. Life is good.