August 2019 - What did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I used “Best Roof Cleaner”. Did a great job and was very easy to use.

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Not exactly directly related, but just named my ice maker "The Enabler".... [CC]

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I got the interlocking foam tiles installed under the bed. They are actually slicker than the floor, so aren't going to help with things sliding, but should add insulation in cold weather. They're also lighter than the black part of the floor, so it should be easier to see things that have been dropped. I was able to put the rod back in place to try to keep the roll-up tables in the rear section.
    I figured out why the screen door/outer door have been acting up. The doohicky that holds the screen door latch open so it moves with the outer door is misaligned and one of the screws is also missing. Looks like we'll need to elarge the holes, fill with JB Weld stuff and use better screws.

4. YellowCityGuy

YellowCityGuy Member

Hi all! Been a while since i've been on here, but thought I'd share what I been workin on.

I traded my Coleman Santa Fe for a Coleman Niagara, which has the slide-out dinette and 2 king beds. What an upgrade! BUT! It had some issues: Plumbing lines leaking (under the trailer, not inside, thank goodness), water heater had massive leak rotting out the floor and walls of the tongue storage box, and a couple of the corner zippers on the canvas are broken. All in all a really good trade up.

What I've done this month:

• Fixed the leaking plumbing joints
    • Removed the water heater (broken/leaking). I plan on just leaving it out because we only camp during the late spring and summer, so hot water isn't a necessity.
    • Removed and built a new tongue storage box (photos below)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Sjm9911 and hq308 like this.
  5. cyclop5

cyclop5 Member

Let's see.. after returning from our week long Boston camping trip at the beginning of the month, I moved the water lines for our sink - freeing up some more space for storage. Also installed a water hammer arrestor after discovering just how loud our pump is (first time we camped without any hookups.) Amazing how much that improved things. Working on clearing out the section under the fridge - it originally had a little storage space (maybe 12" x 3"). Behind there is all kinds of space, if I block off the wheel well and propane line for the fridge above. I plan on building a little box around the propane line so it doesn't get accidentally nicked or anything.

6. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

So i got the PUP open again and after a battle with my wife's sewing machine got our new window dressings up. I just used off the shelf ones from Wally World a huge improvement from the pink and green ones Coleman thought were a good idea 20 years ago.

Also i installed our new fire extinguisher after modifying the holder for the old one.

It was a productive day. I also learned that The AC won't run when its 113 outside it draws too much power and popps the 20Amp breaker :-(
    20190815_175222-3024x1470.jpg 20190815_175245-1470x3024.jpg 20190815_175206-3024x1470.jpg

Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  7. kitphantom

Finally got the screen door handle replaced and repaired the old holes; the new one had just slightly different placement for fasteners.
    I got it all packed for my Sisters on the Fly trip this week, including a couple of totes with supplies for the quilting class I'm teaching, and a stack of things we don't need for camping anymore, to put out in hopes they find new homes. I'm arriving a day early to help with set up, but it's a long enough drive that I'm leaving tomorrow and will camp in the nearby city so I can help all day Tuesday. We got the food boxes done for this trip and the next one, as well as a list of things to add to the food for next time. I'll only be home for 4 days before we leave for a week+ in CO.
    When we closed the rock shield over the front window, we found that my pretty red atomic star decals are now gold. The strong sun must have really aged them quickly - the same ones on the door are fine.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Vegas_PUPpers

Vegas_PUPpers New Member

That is SHARP! My box is still pretty solid but the lid is starting to get brittle and has a few cracks. I hope I can make a replacement that looks as seamless as yours. Nice work Yellow!

Sjm9911 and YellowCityGuy like this.
  9. shaxs

shaxs Active Member

I replaced the cover/flap for the electrical outlet, got the trailer registered (with permanent trailer plates somehow) in my new state of California, installed the brake controller in the new TV, cleaned and reorganized, bought new rods for curtains, bought some other odds and ends, bought a new generator, and built a new mod: Hanging shelves for the sink area.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Got my bike rack installed today!
    IMG_1204.JPG IMG_1206.JPG

Sjm9911 and hq308 like this.
  11. kitphantom

I had a great few days camping in it. First night I had power -since it was close to 100 when I arrived at the campground I was happy to use the a/c. The other 5 nights were dry camping, running my Endless Breeze fan from the trailer outlet for most of the day, I had plenty of power with our dual batteries and Zamp 160 solar panel. This was the first time we'd used the fan for such long time periods in either pup or TT, thought it's certainly been used quite a bit.
    I found that the charging cable from the Goal Zero solar panels fits through the edge of the emergency window, so the Yeti 150 storage battery could stay safely in the trailer and be charged. Given the rains we had, it was a great set-up.
    Got home, emptied waste tanks, filled an LP tank, and now have to clean and repack it for Labor Day week.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Vegas_PUPpers and neighbormike like this.
  13. kitphantom

The TT is all cleaned and mostly repacked to leave tomorrow, for Labor Day week in CO. Campground is at 9300', weather predictions are mixed, so I packed a good range of clothing and layers. House/pet sitter is on tap, plants are watered, etc.
    We didn't have time to replace the weatherstripping at the bottom of the door, which is beginning to tear. That might explain some of the issues with the door, if it gets caught. We put the new screen door handle on just before last week's trip, and I've found it needs to be deliberately latched/unlatched, instead of letting the door jamb side or hook on the outer door trigger it. Not bad, just a new habit to develop.
    Since we postponed our Memorial Day week trip, this will be the first long trip we've had together this year; we had a long weekend over Easter, so we're looking forward to it.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. JesusJJQJ

JesusJJQJ New Member

Hello - Just a quick question, the two switches next to fire extinguisher, what are they for? I have a 94 and i know one of them is for out side step light but the other, i just can figure out what it does. THX!

JQJ

15. Vegas_PUPpers

Vegas_PUPpers New Member

Entrusted it into the hands of a service center for brake wiring repair to accompany the Subaru receiving an upgrade from 4-pin to 7-pin and addition of a brake controller.

16. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

You and me both. I have no idea I was hoping to trace the wires when I do some remodeling maybe next spring. I have the wiring diagrams as well and it’s not on there? Sorry I’m no help

17. JesusJJQJ

JesusJJQJ New Member

LOL! Same here, I will do same and see where it leads to!
    Thanks!

18. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

Put new tires on the Beast. Last trip out I was getting level and noticed the right rear looked low. Need to figure out the next couple of trips. Weekend of 9/20 looks like a beach trip.

19. David Branley

David Branley Member

Can you share how you modified the mount for the fire extinguisher? I also need to do this and trying to figure out how to do it.

20. WingmanHG

WingmanHG Member

I pulled it off the side of the cabinet, just like 4 screws. I used the cutting wheel on my dremel to remove the molded pieces that held the old FE. This left the plastic housing flat albeit with a few larger holes then i screwed the mounting hardware from the new FE into the old housing and with the new FE attached u cant see the holes. I beleive i bought the same capacity FE at wlamart although it is a bit shorter and fatter hence the need to cut some of the old housing away. I hope that made sense