August 2020 - What did you do for your camper?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Aug 1, 2020.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Hard to believe that it is already August. My garden of sunflowers does look like high summer, though, so I guess it must be.
    We had a wing-ding of a thunderstorm last night, losing power for a few minutes, with it blinking a couple of times. This morning, I checked the EMS, in case it needed to be reset, but it showed no error codes, which is good. That means we just had lost power, no highs or lows, etc. The microwave time in the TT had to be reset, but everything else is OK. Well, the battery wall clock was certainly off time, but no connection to the storm, not sure if it's just crazy or needs a new battery.
    Opened the windows, so it might be a reasonable temperature inside to work on the closet shelf project later today.

tenttrailer likes this.
  2. kitphantom

With the realization that we only have two weekends to prep for our 10-day trip to Colorado, I'm in the plotting stage. Courtenay should finish the new shelves in my closet this coming weekend.
    I have a food list started - usually we would plan to restock at least a few things around the midpoint, but this year we plan to take all the food we need for the 10 days. Not impossible, just takes a bit of planning to stay within freezer and fridge limits. Still, we eat better than we did for our ground tenting and popup years, when we only had a cooler, and depended on more packaged food than fresh.
    This morning, I ran water through the lines, as I've tried to do about once a week while idle since mid June. We'll do a good flush this weekend, we'll start with a full tank of water, and a few jugs in the truck. We'd planned to take more water than usual this year anyway, but I found a notice on the reservation site that our first campground has "limited water". It has never had that before, and it was not on the site when I made the reservations, so something has changed in the meantime. (We have full hookups the first night out, which will give us a chance to do a good dump on the waste tanks, we try to do one dump a year or so that is really mostly fresh water run into the waste tanks.)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. kitphantom

When we bought our new rain/sun shelter last month, the order for the second wind wall was canceled due to no stock. I left it in the wish list on Amazon, and this morning one seller had 1 in stock, so I quickly ordered it. We'll see if it arrives, or gets canceled again. We had planned to make do with the wind wall from the previous shelter, but know it's close to end of life.
    I've been checking on the status of things for our trip in two weeks; I try to do that anyway, but this year things are just weird. The dump station we plan to use (twice) is open. The first campground, where we'll be for 3 nights, is listed as "limited water" on the reservation site; the Forest Service site lists "no water available for the 2020 season". Good thing we have the means to have plenty of our own water. The second campground seems to be things as usual, but we're prepared to be self-sufficient.

ETA: Well, that was quick. Less than half an hour from ordering and I got an email they were out of stock on the side wall. Guess I plan to pack along the old wind wall, and some options for attaching it. It's monsoon season, and we'll need the side wall to reduce raining into the shelter. When it thunders and/or begins to hail, though, I retreat inside the trailer.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  4. kitphantom

The closet shelves are almost done. Courtenay has worked all day on them, and did a test fit this afternoon, before adding supports for the shelves. It's such a tight and odd-shaped space, everything take longer; a plain set of shelves would have been done long ago. Once it cools off today, he'll be able to put a coat of polyurethane on them, and install them tomorrow.
    I opened the awning, pausing every foot or so to let the accumulated rain water run off; closed it up after a few hours. It is just barely useful enough to put up with all of its shortcomings.

Attached Files:

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Perfect shelves! And i get the planning for the food. I over buy and carry too much, i think if i had to i could go a month on the food in the camper, lol.

6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Installed new SailRite hook disks for our skylight covers. Swapped out a leaking wheel for a good spare (we have two spares).

HappyTraveler likes this.
  7. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Active Member

Pulled all tail lights and marker lights. Cleaned and replaced and hopefully sealed them (....... was getting water intrusion through several).

8. kitphantom

We still tend to have at least a few days of extra food in our boxes, just in case, though if pushed, it might get boring. It gives us choices as we go along. We still ended up having to eat out (not happening this year) on the trip in 2 years years ago, a mechanical issue - the trailer was at the towing company with most of our food in it, we were in the KOA cabin. We were happy they had us on the road so we only got home a little over a day late.
    Our habit of batch cooking and freezing meals, as well as stocking up on meat and such to keep in the freezer proved to be very useful this year, more than usual. For this trip, we have enough meals, or portions thereof, already frozen that we'll just have to decide what to pull to take on the trip.
    Today, I also rummaged through the remains of our two old shade/rain shelters. The one wind wall had shredded off the binding in the windstorm. I set the legs and support frame aside to be recycled, tossed both canopies and got the other wind wall folded into a 2 gallon Ziploc, in case we need to use it with the new shelter. It didn't seem as faded as the rest, so hoping that means it has some life left. I'm going to keep seeking the proper sidewall for the new structure though. If it comes to it, I could clone the one we bought already.

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Installed the Maxxair Vent.
    A8D671E9-4B9C-48D8-9570-9ED6DE361922.jpeg
    Next up is wash the filthy thing! Really looked awful in the led lit shop.

10. craiglepaige

craiglepaige Member

Moved it from one place in the backyard to another [LOL]

The plan is to continue remodeling the inside in the next few weeks but it was sidelined due to the rain we had last week.

We have a 30-40% chance for Tuesday, hopefully that changes so I can get out there tomorrow after work.

11. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

installed a small "U" anchor for a bungee cord over the top of the Fantastic Fan lid. The other end of the cord hooks into a hole on the fan hinge support. Both hooks on the bungee were clipped back a bit. Works great - easy upgrade.

Also gave the Aliner a cursory wash with the shaggy broom.

UPDATE: added photos of the vent bungee.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  12. kitphantom

the new shelves are installed in the closet and will be a huge improvement in using that space. There are still some odd-sized spaces on the shelves becasue I'm using baskets. The ones on the floor level have footwear in them, I need those to use as drawers so I can actually reach the shoes I need.

Attached Files:

13. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Still in great shape from last month, reefer etc. are all plugged in and working, I am not planning anything until it cools down outside, Heat index is 100+ and high humidity. I haven't even tried the new pontoon boat out, worst is Pebbles does not want to go (or even leave the house) Pebbles takes me for walks and we stay in the unit with the AC on and even to miserable to go fishing.

14. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

On our motor home. 1) repaired small hole in awning, 2) reprinted sticker for on/off electric LP swich, found and replaced a few lug nut covers. Switch thermostat to summer 180 degree stat.

Went camping for 5 nights. [Guitar]

Down side, we stock our campers with the dry and can goods for most of the season in April. Because of CG's being closed, Our April to end November is not down much and we will have a lot to take out at the session's end.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  15. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

We went camping! Spent a couple nights in the Unity Or. area.

16. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

You sound like DW. She wants to take all kinds of stuff for things "she's going to make." Way more than half usually comes back home. A couple weeks ago, we didn't take a lot of extra stuff and used/ate most of it so I didn't have to schlep it all back home.

I thought she might get the hint and turn over a new leaf, but I was mistaken. ;)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    HappyTraveler, FARfetched and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I dont take it out until I winterize. Then i say to myself , self , your an idiot, as i take out 2 milk crates off food from the camper. Most will go to a food pantry. So at least its not wasted.

HappyTraveler and FARfetched like this.
  18. cyclop5

cyclop5 Active Member Silver Supporting Member

Went camping at the same place my in-laws have a seasonal site at. Electric box wouldn't quite fit my 30 amp plug, but brother-in-law happened to have a spare 30 amp surge protector that fit.. so I bought it off him at a discount. (been meaning to get one anyway).

Did the axle flip on Rowena. Not near as difficult as I expected it to be - maybe because she's a 2019, and hasn't had a chance to rust yet :) She much taller. I should have no problems backing out of my driveway now. Was probably a good thing I did it too.. the brake wires on the road side were not actually connected. Looks like they corroded a bit at the splitter/connector. Who knows how long I've been running with one working brake.

As a side note - anyone know how to remove the brake drum on a Lippert axle? :) (j/k - I'll google it)

HappyTraveler and neighbormike like this.
  19. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Went camping and got a turd blaster:)

IMG_0067.JPG

20. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

I finished the outdoor table.

camper_table.jpeg

A folding table with a rotten top donated one set of legs for this project. The legs weren't quite long enough to keep the table level… but fortunately, I had some pipe that fit perfectly over the legs. Measure, cut, slip over, and the table is ready for cooking or serving!

You probably noticed the lip around the table. I wanted to make it difficult for food or utensils to hit the ground, so I rimmed the ends off the camper to catch rolling or sliding items.

Mrs. Fetched, who is usually quick to find problems, thought I did a professional job. :D

Attached Files: