August 2022 - what did you do for your camper?

cowboiler

Oct 25, 2021
Oklahoma
Already August, and here the kids will be going back to school soon. It's a bit early in the day for me to do much for the trailer, except give it a glance taking out the trash.

Next trip is in less than 2 weeks, so time to start thinking about defrosting the fridge (we keep it running most of camping season - right now, the freezer holds extra ice cream), then restocking it and the food boxes.
Got a new tire cover and added a cut vinyl decal to it, so people know who to cuss when I'm only driving 60-65 instead of 75+ like everyone else in Oklahoma. I also cleaned the condenser coil on my air conditioner after our camping trip last weekend. It felt like it wasn't keeping up with the Oklahoma heat. I was surprised at how dirty it was, but realized I hadn't cleaned it in the 3 years that I've had it. Also, it's parked under a carport so it's not even rinsed by the rain.

29993F61-0BED-4301-9AB0-2E8FC5D05AB1.JPG

wcvworg

Jul 1, 2021
Vermont
@wcvworg
I see you install just one step brace in the center, how's that working for you? I used the same brace only I used two, one on either side.

Heading out for a long weekend Thursday - will try to remember to report back. I was previously bracing it with a scissor jack so I expect a similarly positive experience.

I didn't mention, but I did have to take a little slice off each side of the foot because it was a bit too side to tuck between the side and middle seam of the step.

PopUpSteve

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2002
Southeastern PA
I didn't mention, but I did have to take a little slice off each side of the foot because it was a bit too side to tuck between the side and middle seam of the step.
Yes, mine too but I installed it so that one side of the foot fits and the other side sits on top of that little bump. Neither support has let to pop out of the clip. We'll see what happens after 7,000 miles.

KeizerTrailer

Aug 31, 2020
Keizer, OR
Getting the PUP finished up for the maiden voyage this weekend to LaPine SP to meet up with the rest of the family. Good thing packing small isn't something I'm a stranger to. The basic load is getting dialed in, my beloved DW is still thinking that small bins will help with storage space, but alas, it won't when the largest compartment is 4x2' and some of that space is taken by the wheel well. Pictures to follow.

Last edited:

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Plans were to pack food last night, but the battery on the truck crapped out - at almost 5 years old, as I went to leave my friends' house. After waiting almost two hours for a AAA "battery service" i.e. jump, I was far too tired to do anything else. Another AAA call this morning, a trip to the shop, and we have a new battery.
So, tomorrow is planned to be food packing, and anything else I can do. We did not get to use the repair tape and caulk on the spots that need them yet, so I may try to get to that tomorrow too.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
I put the repair tape in the camper tool box, I can't see just where the tape needs to go, except at the edge. There are fasteners in the way underneath, and I am too stiff to crawl under, and can't see in focus with my progressive lenses - i.e. this is a job for Courtenay.
Gradually packing today. Replaced the wall organizers I'd pulled into the house to get some stuff out of the 105*+ temps the camper can hit inside at this time of year. It's been 2 months since the last trip, so no need to just store susceptible things in that heat during the break. Made a 1# batch of bread, and am just taking a break from working on food and books. [Not much ambition, after taking a break inside during a thunderstorm and downpour. It's more fun to sit here and watch the goings-on of the roadrunners in our front yard. At least 5 darting back and forth, adults and juvies, including chasing a squirrel (I wish they'd catch it! It's the same type that ate the ignition wires in my truck). It's like watching little prehistoric critters.]

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
We have ours out for a week trip. Just as happy to have FHU, because it is sunny and hot, no shade, so the a/c is handy. The cooler weather originally predicted seems to have disappeared.
The slider that regulates temperature in the fridge (the thermistor) apparently
got nudged, either as we packed or with the bumps and jounces of the road. Food didn’t get to an unsafe temp, but close. A couple of nudges to the cold end, and we’re back in the sweet spot. Never happened before in almost 8 years.

Taxus812

Jun 1, 2010
Upgrade my battery to Lithium, updated my converter and replaced the wire to my battery with 6AWG to support said Lithium and ....... I added a metal battery box to the tongue.

I decided to buy a Harbor freight tongue box and convert it to a battery box. I never imagined how much thought would go into this. So many things I had to consider.

My battery is lithium with Bluetooth.

I added wood to allow me to mount stuff. It also gave the box some strength. I used 7" U-Bolts to attach it to the frame via the original battery mount.

First thing I thought about was security. I considered moving the battery inside the camper, but I had to work out the battery cutoff and it would be further from the converter, and I didn't want to do that if I could avoid it. So, I went back to keeping it on the tongue. So now I needed to figure out how to secure it better. I store my camper in my yard (battery removed long term) so I would need to focus on rest stops and campgrounds. Really just stop opportunistic thieves. It would require tools to break into. I didn't like the center lock because 1) You can pull up on the top corners and just bend it till it pops open. 2) I need to remove the propane tank cover to access it. I decided to add two hasps with keyed alike locks. If you have bolt cutters, can pick locks or a power saw you can gain access. People wandering campgrounds I frequent typically don't run around with that stuff. It would likely be noticed by someone.

That said I thought what if that does happen. someone cuts the locks and steals my battery. I need to be able to grab a Wally world battery and throw it in. So, I built it with venting for lead acid (my converter will autodetect it). It also has a double purpose of allowing the bluetooth signal out of the metal box :). I found that when close I could not get the battery management data more than a few feet away. Final plus for venting, is if the battery burns up (unlikely) the venting would keep it from exploding like a big grenade. In the unlikely event it caught fire, the steel box it can contain it a bit till I got the hell out of the camper too.

Finally, I needed to relocate the battery disconnect because it was no longer accessible with the box in place. I put it on the front of the box. Took about a week working on it an hour or so each night.

Attachments

• IMG_4762[1].JPG
    IMG_4762[1].JPG
    164 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4733[1].JPG
    IMG_4733[1].JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4772[1].JPG
    IMG_4772[1].JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4781[1].JPG
    IMG_4781[1].JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_E4777[1].JPG
    IMG_E4777[1].JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4780[1].JPG
    IMG_4780[1].JPG
    236 KB · Views: 16

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
This is the last day of our Colorado trip and I have a list of things to restock and small jobs to do before the longer trip next month.
Looks like replacing the dinette cushion foam will need to be done before the next trip. When stuck inside much of the day by rain, I realized that I kept sliding off the front of my seat. That evening, I mentioned it to Courtenay, who said he realized he was bottoming out onto the wood. Not comfy.
Sink drain needs to be re-puttied. Guess we need to do it every year or two, instead of waiting until it leaks into the cabinet. Road vibrations mean is just doesn’t stay sealed.

Jason212

Aug 2, 2020
Utah
Haven't been able to take any trips this year due to switching jobs and wife having surgery, but I finally got around to removing the electric winch that was making many noises I did not like and installing a manual winch. It went a lot quicker than I thought it would. Next weekend I will de-winterize in hopes of making a trip or two before long.

Oldspurs

Jan 2, 2022
Central Texas
Upgrade my battery to Lithium, updated my converter and replaced the wire to my battery with 6AWG to support said Lithium and ....... I added a metal battery box to the tongue.

I decided to buy a Harbor freight tongue box and convert it to a battery box. I never imagined how much thought would go into this. So many things I had to consider.

My battery is lithium with Bluetooth.

I added wood to allow me to mount stuff. It also gave the box some strength. I used 7" U-Bolts to attach it to the frame via the original battery mount.

First thing I thought about was security. I considered moving the battery inside the camper, but I had to work out the battery cutoff and it would be further from the converter, and I didn't want to do that if I could avoid it. So, I went back to keeping it on the tongue. So now I needed to figure out how to secure it better. I store my camper in my yard (battery removed long term) so I would need to focus on rest stops and campgrounds. Really just stop opportunistic thieves. It would require tools to break into. I didn't like the center lock because 1) You can pull up on the top corners and just bend it till it pops open. 2) I need to remove the propane tank cover to access it. I decided to add two hasps with keyed alike locks. If you have bolt cutters, can pick locks or a power saw you can gain access. People wandering campgrounds I frequent typically don't run around with that stuff. It would likely be noticed by someone.

That said I thought what if that does happen. someone cuts the locks and steals my battery. I need to be able to grab a Wally world battery and throw it in. So, I built it with venting for lead acid (my converter will autodetect it). It also has a double purpose of allowing the bluetooth signal out of the metal box :). I found that when close I could not get the battery management data more than a few feet away. Final plus for venting, is if the battery burns up (unlikely) the venting would keep it from exploding like a big grenade. In the unlikely event it caught fire, the steel box it can contain it a bit till I got the hell out of the camper too.

Finally, I needed to relocate the battery disconnect because it was no longer accessible with the box in place. I put it on the front of the box. Took about a week working on it an hour or so each night.

Sweet install, looks really good. See you on the trail.

TSQ

Mar 28, 2021
Niagara Region, ON
Did a major mod the the 3-Way fridge control. In their infinite wisdom, Dometic really didn’t do a good job labeling the temperature control. On the right side is a little arrow which is marker for the where to set the temperature. It’s 1/2 under the dial and hard to see. To compound the problem, on the opposite side of the dial, there’s a little round indent which when it get dirty, it looks like the same temperature mark. Since I don’t use the fridge too much, I forget which side is the correct marker.

So after cleaning the surface (and here’s the big mod), I used a Sharpie to enlarge the arrow so these old eyes can now see it.
We rarely use the fridge on 120 VAC, so my problem is remembering if larger number are colder or if smaller numbers are colder.

IIRC larger numbers are colder?