Aurora Borealis Tonight!!!

Discussion in 'Astronomy / Star Gazing' started by Cpt_Canuck, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Cpt_Canuck

Cpt_Canuck New Member

Hey there campers in Canada and the northern United States, if your skies are cloud free, look to the Northern horizon!!!!! The forecast for the northern lights is really high thanks to a big solar flare directed at us on Wednesday. They should be visible after around 10pm eastern. Good luck and enjoy!!!!

2. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Maybe tomorrow night, MI is under cloud cover tonight! [:(!] We have seen them many years ago when camping in the upper peninsular, they are spectacular! Everyone should take the opportunity to try and see them.

Diane

3. rwilliek

rwilliek New Member

I don't think the CME hits until tomorrow afternoon sometime, which would put the northern lights being active until tomorrow night.

4. rwilliek

rwilliek New Member

I stand corrected, hit the atmosphere about an hour ago.

5. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Cloudy here tonight but supposed to be clear tomorrow, of course.

A number of years ago I was flying from Los Angeles to London, window seat. We were on the northern route, taking us over Winnipeg. The plane was dark, movie on which I was not watching, and I was bored. I decided to take a quick look out of my window...... WOW. The Aurora as far as the eye could see to the north. I sat in a hunched-over position, looking out of a partially opened window slide, for at least an hour and I don't think anyone else on the plane knew it was there. That is the only time I have ever seen them.