Avalon 2007 Shower Drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (Blue, Grey, & Black)' started by HappyTraveler, Jul 7, 2019.

1. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

We got our NTU Avalon 2007 pup a month ago and have been slowly cleaning and taking care of other things, but are now finally getting around to the water system and flushing out the winterizer and santitizing everything. So looking at the fresh water hook-up, fresh water tank, sink, toilet and showers; as well as the two waste tanks (GW & BW).
    According to my owners manual (OM) my onboard shower's drain has a garden hose that gets attached underneath the camper/shower pan and then the other end of the hose is put in an appropriate place for the waste.
    However, it looks like my particular shower actually drains into the GW tank.
    Does this sound right?

Here's a snip from my OM: Capture.JPG

2. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

you are looking at a generic owner's manual, you need to determine what applies your model. In the case of the 2007 highlander you need to look at the section on holding tanks. Page 35 in the 2008 manual. You can purchase a sewer outlet cap that has a hose fitting for dumping the grey water tank.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  3. HappyTraveler

Thank you mstrbill.

These OMs leave a LOT to be desired. Good thing we're handy and willing to try things.

From what I could see underneath the camper, approximately under the shower and toilet, it looks like our shower drains right into the GW tank. We did an experiment last night and with fresh water hose hooked to the city water inlet on the camper, we ran just the shower and let that water go down the drain, the GW tank, which was empty before, filled with water.

I also wanted to flush and sanitize the system and fresh water tank. So filled the fresh water tank and heard splashing on the driveway. That's when we learned that the fresh water tank seems to have a crack in it and it looks like the POs patched it or something. Not a big deal short term, since we're used to not even having electric and water while tenting; but will need to probably do something with that at some point down the road. We typically only drink spring water, and if we do have full hook ups, then cg water is there for any other water needs.

Will take a look at the 2008 manual.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Is it cracked, or just the drain plug loose or removed? I think they sell patch kits for the tank.

5. HappyTraveler

Here are some pictures I took of the Fresh Water tank.

The Red arrows are pointing to where the PO seems to have caulked or patched. The arrow on the lower right is where the water was actually leaking out.
    FWTank.JPG

This is on another side of the same FW tank:
    FWTank2.JPG

Took care of the missing hose clamp, which was the only place water was leaking out on this side.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Make sure the water isnt leaking from the hose there also and travelling. Hope its an easy fix. You might want to look into bulkhead fitings, but idk if you need acess to the inside of the tank for all of them or not. Im sure i saw patch kits for sale somewhere.

HappyTraveler likes this.