Awesome "Pop Up" trash can idea...cheap1

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by backyarddad, Mar 30, 2013.

1. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

Hey all a new pop up owner here, and we are putting things together and realized that we needed a portable trash can, and my wife came up with an awesome idea!! We are using a collapseable hamper that you can get at Walmart for around $3 and it holds a 15 gallon trash bag size. When you are done, you can fold it up, and store it away! We placed 2 extra bags in it and left the baf ready to go, see the pics below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Folded down, about the size of a salad plate.

[​IMG]

2. fordtough68

fordtough68 New Member

That's a great idea!!! I'm financial go get one of those tomorrow! Thanks!

3. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

We have something similar and when folded down, stows perfect under the couch cushion.

4. bropaul

bropaul New Member

What a great idea!! That's the wonderful thing about the Portal, new members bringing in new ideas! Thank you and welcome from Michigan!

Happy camping!
    Diane

5. OhSoCampy

OhSoCampy New Member

Re: Awesome "Pop Up" trash can idea...cheap1

Great idea!

6. qwed94

qwed94 New Member

That is a good idea. We use little plastic bags (like grocery or "walmart") bags. True they dont hold alot, but when camping, it gives you an excuse to take a walk. (You know, to "take the trash out".
    That is a good idea though.

7. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

We use two of those at our home for laundry, but I bought a heavy duty round black one, also collapsible, for our camp trash. I LOVE these things.!

[:D]

8. backyarddad

backyarddad New Member

OK - update on the can! After a trail period, you need bigger bags then 15, perhaps something from 18 to 20, if they make them, but other then that, it works great. And yes, qwed94, it gives the kids reason to go away from the camp site for a while ;)!

9. jozo71

jozo71 New Member

This is why the portal is so great. So many great people with great ideas.

10. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

11. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Oh shoot! Another reason to make a trip to Harbor Freight! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

We use a couple smaller waste baskets with the plastic shopping bag liners. They are small enough I can store them inside our potty/shower area when in storage mode. HOWEVER, Michigan has a bottle deposit and all other plastics and aluminum are recycled. I am thinking one of these would be wonderful to hold a bag for all the non-trash items we haul home.

Thanks again for the great tip!

Diane

12. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

I got mine at IKEA for super cheap. Who doesn't love a reason to go to IKEA?! [LOL]

13. Fished

Fished New Member

The camping section at walmart has a smaller one, perfect for the plastic grocery store bags. We use that for inside, outside we just hag a big bag on the pole hook.

14. barbjmj

barbjmj Member

Same scenario here in Oregon. Last Labor Day after a family outing we brought back six big (lawn waste) size bags of bottles and cans. We used the larger pop-up container with a bag inside. It was well worth making room to bring them back.

15. chinolofus

chinolofus New Member

we use a tall laundry basket that is shaped just like a garbage can just a little shorter. we put all our food in it for the trip (chips, bread ect.) and when we get there we empty it and put a bag in it. we dont do a ton of cooking and when we do it isnt nasty messy cooking so our garbage doesnt really risk getting the hamper gross with food spills. usually its just filled with cans and plastic wrappers. all the paper products are usually burned.