Awning Bag stitching failing - what to do?

rrands1

Jul 14, 2008
I have a popup with an 8' Trim Line awning. The awning fabric is fine, but the stitching on the bag is failing where it holds the zipper in. It is the thread, not necessarily the fabric - the thread is disintegrating, and so the zipper is coming apart from the fabric of the bag. So I have 2 questions (and I am in Mesa, AZ, if that helps):

1. can you buy just a replacement bag? (searching does not show any, but I thought I would ask)
2. Any recommendations on someone to fix the zipper (or replace the bag, if that is not an option?)

OK - I guess 3 questions... :) If I can't get it fixed, and recommendations on an affordable awning that is similar to this one? (it works fine for us, other than the stitching issue...)

Thank you so much, I appreciate it!!

-randy

BriNat

Apr 11, 2022
If you are in a bind and can stitch it yourself. I have fixed mine on the road with dental floss... it actually worked really well.

NLB

Silver Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2021
West Palm Beach, Florida
The fabric of my bag is fine, but the cloth on either side of the zipper deteriorated on both ends of the bag. I used industrial strength stick-on Velcro on the bag, and a Velcro square to close both ends.
It isn’t real attractive, but very secure.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Look around in your area, some awning, boat canvas, and/or auto upholstery shops may be willing and able to do that type of repair.
You can use needle and thread (upholstery or other hefty stuff, handy if it's UV resistant) to re-stitch it - not fun, but if you can follow the previous stitch holes, you aren't needing to punch new ones.
Some use this handy tool; I confess to owning one but have yet to use it. I've seen them at bog box sewing stores on occasion, in the leather section of Hobby Lobby, etc. smile.amazon.com/Speedy-Stitcher-1125-Sewing-Awl/dp/B000HGIJQ4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3E64VKPKKQP4M&keywords=sewing+awl&qid=1656257061&sprefix=sewing%2520awl%2Caps%2C190&sr=8-1

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
I restitched my bag with a speedy stitcher and their waxed thread. Took me a couple days to do it, but it has held up well. My bag was still ok but the stitching on the keder strip had rotted off.

rrands1

Jul 14, 2008
Thanks, all - some solid advice here - I am going to give the speedy stitcher a try, and see how it goes! :)