Awning falling apart

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Kasey Redrum, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Kasey Redrum

Kasey Redrum Member

2005 Rockwood 1640 LTD, just bought it and tested out the awning and it is falling apart. Mainly at the connection to the side wall. The bag is flaking apart, and part of the connection to the wall. The bag appears to be a slide in type of connection, so I can remove it. But not sure of being able to repair the fabric. There is already old duct tape up there which has also fallen apart. Buying a new awning is out of the budget. So any DIY fixes out there?? New bag?? Thanks for any help.
    Kasey R.

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Is it the bag that is falling apart or is your awning also Disintegrating? If it’s just the bag you may be able to make or hire someone to make a new bag. If the awning itself is also Disintegrating then you can do what I do and make an awning out of a tarp. I have to take it off when I pack up to leave but I have a dry place to stay or cook without breaking the budget. A more heavy duty tarp the better, but it works great.

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I found that fixing the awning was eaither, too hard or too expensive, i saved up for a pop up screen room. Works better for me. They do make a hand held speedy stitcher you can buy and try to repair it yourself. Lots have said its easy but time consuming. If its only the bag and not where it attaches to the pup, then you can just strap it for now.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Bear Creek canvas used to replace awning bags. I would give them a call.

5. Kasey Redrum

Kasey Redrum Member

awning - 1.jpg These are great ideas, thanks for them. I looked closer and even took a picture, issue seems to be that the bag is actually part of the awning, it attaches to the camper, then 4 inches of bag material, then it transitions into the awning. So I would have to cut the awning at the seam where is becomes the bag, then install it onto a new bag?? Is that possible? I also now see that the prior owner had used massive amounts of duct tape on the bag, in fact I think the bottom part of the entire bag is4 long strips of duct tape.

6. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I would take it off and buy a 10x10 popup canopy for $100.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Take the whole awning to an upholstery shop, a boat cover shop and I have even heard of shoemaker shops being able to make a new awning bag.

8. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

There is a thread somewhere on here where a guy made a new bag. Had materials list and a detail description of how he did it

9. EmilyGhetto616

EmilyGhetto616 New Member

I did it. It was easy but very time consuming. 3 days or about 18 hours. I also made a screen room to fit. Cost about $80. Screenshot_20191230-112948_Gallery.jpg 20191230_113032.jpg Screenshot_20191230-112930_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191230-112948_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191230-112948_Gallery.jpg

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Looks good ! But your missing a camper!

bheff likes this.
  11. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

You're probably going to get a lot of toss the awning and get a stand along shelter or screen room. Personally I like the awning better and the screen room that connects to it is awesome. As mentioned by others it is possible to repair or have repaired. If repair isn't an option there are good sales from time to time. I have about $300 in the awning and screen room. Being able to get to it from the camper and back without walking in the rain and mud is well worth the cost and added setup time.

FARfetched and EmilyGhetto616 like this.
  12. EmilyGhetto616

LOL, yes. This is what happens when the camper lives 20miles away from you. I had to improvise. Hopefully I will get a picture of it on the camper in the spring. I haven't needed the awning recently, not much sun and alot of wind.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

The Boat repair places are setup pretty good for canvas repair etc...

I lost my awning bag to the RV rays as well but the awning part still works great. I just roll it up and flip it up on the roof and use stretch ropes to tie it down when in travel mode.

I also have a 10X10 canopy... This is not high enough however to move up to the POPUP and be able to open the door under it.

Haven't really decided yet what to buy to fix it...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

14. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Typically the bag is made out of the same type of canvas as the pup, but not always. I know mine was. Most of these bag awnings have the awning material sandwiched between the two sides of the bag, plus the Keder rope strip that slides into the groove on the roof. Mine has a self tapping screw at either end to keep it in the groove. Remove and slide it all the way out, then you can seam rip if doing it yourself, or just take the whole thing to a sail shop to have them make up something for you.

15. scootit

scootit Member

EmilyGhetto616 I would love to know more about your repairs. What material did you use for the bag? Any information would be great. Thanks

16. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

The Starflyer's awning is fine. Its bag is toast. After our weekend in late September, I took the awning bag off and laid it in the garage. Next time we go, I'll bring it along and re-attach it, if I haven't had the bag replaced beforehand.

With Lake Lanier less than 1/2 hour away, there should be several places that can deal with the bag. I just hate cold-calling. I need to put on my headset and my big boy pants and get this dealt with, though.

Then again, my mother in law had several industrial sewing machines. How much hassle would it be to find one and do it myself? Better than being on the phone.

17. EmilyGhetto616

I wish I would have taken pictures. I started by taking it apart at the seam where the plastic is (the part the attaches to the trailer). I used a razor to cut the old threading. I made a new bag (using the old one as a size guide) out of duck canvas and a zipper. I made my beg bigger then the original to accommodate the screen I was adding. Making the bag bigger did cause problems with the door (it hung over it) so I added the snaps, now the bag is only half its size when open. If we are not using the awning we flip it up onto the roof to keep it out of the way. The actual awning is sandwiched between the canvas. Then the plastic piece goes over all the layers, pin in place. Using a stitching awl I sewed the pieces back together. This is the part I got pictures of. I also ordered no seeum netting lined the edges with strapping material to make a screen room. The existing awning already had velcro so I attached the screen to that. I added rivet holes to the bottom of the screen. I made small draw string bags we fill with rocks and tie to the rivets to keep the net from blowing in the breeze. Wish I had some better pictures but I've already posted all the pics I have. The awning is here so I could take close ups of any part you might want to see. Please feel free to ask me anything.

18. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Active Member

I had a local boat upholstery shop fabricate a new bag out of sunbrella fabric. charged me 60 bucks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FARfetched, bheff and Overland like this.
  19. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Certainly cheaper than a new awning.