Awning is ok, the zippered pouch is shot

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Yukon Jake, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Yukon Jake

Yukon Jake New Member

The pouch (what is this case called) is worn away and tearing where the zipper meets the fabric. It's patched with duct tape now, but that won't last forever.

Does anyone make an awning case/shield/pouch/sheath that can be purchased without replacing the whole awning?

2. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

I think you can get one made at Bear Creek Canvas. I'm sure someone else will chime in about this.

3. Espeycaver

Espeycaver Member

If you find out let m know. I just got done fighting with mine trying to get the zipper closed. Now I have part of the awning caught in the zipper and can't move it anymore. Any suggestions? Also if you can replace the bag or even the whole awning, how do you get it off?

4. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Took mine to a Marine upholsterer called Top Stitching, they usually sew covers for Yachts. They fixed my awning bag and made me a lift cover. both in "boat beige". [8D]

5. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Our awning bag is on its last legs. How much did they charge? I was thinking of doing something similar.

6. freenaz

freenaz Member

Sent mine to Bear creek canvas for a new bag. $60.00 and that included return shipping.

7. bondebond

bondebond New Member

freenaz,

Since the awning needs to be sewn into the bag, you sent your 9' to 13' awning to Bear Creek? How much did the shipping cost you?

I ask because the local place wants $150 to do the work.

8. freenaz

freenaz Member

I removed the metal rail and poles from the awning. Rolled up the awning nice and tight and was able to get it in a USPS flat rate box, not sure exact size but ~ 12"x12"x12". It cost maybe $20 to ship it to Bear Creek, I'm not really sure it was last year.

9. Buggsee

Buggsee Pop up rebuilder in training

I also sent mine but also sent one of my bunk ends for them to replace the zipper. Bear creek rocks!!!

10. Tofer76

Tofer76 New Member

you can get a repl from ebay for 150
    what i did was a bit cheaper
    i threw the bag away lol
    i had new welting (the round rubber strip) sewn directly to the awning and just put it on when needed
    take it off when i tear down and roll it up and set it on the floor of the pup
    i figure the main reason these things get worn out and go to crap is by being left on the camper all the time so i nixed that issue and it cost me 30 bucks

11. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Thanks, freenaz. That makes sense. I wouldn't have thought of the USPS flat rate box. That's just awesome.

12. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

It was $24.00 total for new lift cover and bag repair, I dropped off and picked up [8D]

13. Winston

Winston New Member

Shademaker will rebag their awnings for $25. They may rebag other brands as well. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Follow link and click "bag awning FAQ on the left tab. Its stated in FAQ#4

http://home.comcast.net/~shademaker/bapage.htm

14. timoke

timoke New Member

I had the same problem and chose not to fix the awning pouch zipper. Instead I cut small slots through the awning pouch mounting rubber tabs and fed 3/4" nylon web nylon straps through those slots. When I roll up my awning into the open pouch I fold the bottom flap up over the awning, then I drape the top flap over the awning and overlap the lower flap and secure with the web straps. Works great.

15. ricko

ricko Member

I took mine to our local 'tent and awning' place and they sewed in a new zipper that was 100 times heavier than the original...

Ricko