Awning leg relocation mod

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by StumpXJ, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Sokokis

Sokokis New Member

My PUP has both types of poles. I tend to use the ones attached to the camper most because they are so much easier to set up by myself. I did go to Home Depot and get some pipe insulation after I walked into them a few times - now when I walk into them I don't end up with a headache!

2. Jeeper12

Jeeper12 New Member

Thanks for the write-up. I just finished up mine tonight. Brought about another issue...awning bag thread is dry rotted. Looks like I am finding an upholstry shop tomorrow.

3. Tdogg

Tdogg New Member

Nice Job..you mention buying a set for the back, do have any idea where I would get it from? I was going to use flag pole mounts to the side of the latch, but there's nothing there to hold it (nothing behind the sidewall of the camper). Any help is appreciated, I've looked everywhere I can think of!

Thanks!

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I had the standard vertical awning poles on my Fleetwood Yuma and liked them just fine. I could enter and leave the covered area from all three sides. I now have the awning poles that run at an angle back to the trailer body on my TrailManor (fiama awning) and I dislike them intensely. Like Hawkester, I don't care to have to walk all the way around the poles to enter the covered area from the front -- or else duck under the poles from the sides. The awning also moves too much in the breeze without being fastened to the ground in the front.

5. Shuswap

Shuswap New Member

I can't believe I'm disagreeing with U-T but I did the awning mod on the Evo1 and wouldn't go back to vertical poles with guy wires!

6. StumpXJ

StumpXJ New Member

To each his own for sure. I have really been enjoying this mod myself, its much easier/faster for me to setup the awning by myself, and I havent had any issues whatsoever.

7. 3sons

3sons Only good at Drinking Beer

Nice set up and great job. Are you going to sell them now for $19.99 [LOL]

8. Hazzard

Hazzard New Member

doing this over the weekend. Love it...

9. bropaul

bropaul New Member

We have an add-a-room so this mod would not work for us. BUT I purchased a couple Iron Torch Bases at an end of season sale 5 years ago. We use these to hold our awning legs, they have a thumb screw that tightens to the pole... been in 40+MPH winds and it never moved. No stakes, no lines to trip over!!! [:D] Diane

10. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Dang. This thread has so many great ideas. Now I have another thing to figure out how to do.

11. Tdogg

Tdogg New Member

Finally got finished! Had my brother weld the brackets for me...I was initially a bit skeptical about the 4 bolts from the clamps holding the weight of the brackets and the awning, but they are tight and secure! Thanks for the ideas!

12. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

So many good ideas to borrow

13. mocamper

mocamper Active Member

Great mod. I love the entire job and usefulness. From the show me state.

14. JAH

JAH New Member

Doggonit - I don't bend, weld, fold, spindle or any of that stuff. This would be great on my Mesa. I currently use three water-filled stands from a patio umbrella. They work, and I can drain and fill them as needed, but this setup would be perfect.

Maybe someday...

15. Al Menard

Al Menard New Member

I am new to this site, how do I see older posts pictures ??

16. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

You can't. Many were hosted on long dead web services. Others used Photobucket who no longer allow hosting without paying for it.

17. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Your best bet is to just post any questions you have and you will get new pictures if anyone can help. There are plenty of folks on here that will be more than happy to help with any problems you have.

18. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

I'm going back and reading the thread and seeing quotes like these:
    "This thread has so many great ideas." and "So many good ideas to borrow".....

Makes me think... DANG! What did I miss? [?:~{][LOL]:grin:

19. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

Thats the first thing I thought of .There is no adjustment from what I can see and thats not good.