Awning not worth the effort

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by firepit, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I camp alone more often than not. I have a big pup too, and I admit or can be a chore setting up alone, especially since i have a middle rafter pole plus the screen room.

Eventually I want to get a Fiamma with the hand crank. Even would buy their screen room to go with it.

neighbormike likes this.
  2. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

I don't think mine even takes 30 seconds...

But seriously if for nothing else, the awning keeps my stuff dry thats underneath from the evening/morning dew. I always have my griddle, table with the coffee maker, and our shoe basket under the awning.

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. gardenheather

gardenheather Member Silver Supporting Member

We've only gotten to camp once with our pop-up so far, so the awning was a little difficult to set up the first time but not so bad that we won't do it again. I kept the screen walls covering down on the side the kitchen things were set up on, to keep the sun and rain off. It kept the bugs out from around the trailer door so we didn't have problems with them. It's nice to think that when it does rain the rain won't be coming in the door of the trailer, too. And when the sun was coming in where I was standing to cook, I just rolled down the any shade I needed to and it was really nice not to have to be in the scorching sun while I cooked. I imagine it will become a pain when we have to roll it up for thunderstorms.

4. 05starcraft

05starcraft New Member

On our last trip I discovered how to take the awning up and down easily by myself. unroll it and let it hang. extend the top polls and attach to pup.
    twist them tight. then pull out the ground support legs. and stand the whole thing up.

5. jerbear

jerbear Active Member

I'm with you .We camp at state parks for one and always have had black top pads .Secondly ,I tried putting ours up in the driveway by myself an I didn't get very far until I said FORGET THIS! Its been wrapped up in a plastic cover and sits on a shelve in my garage . WE have a 1995 Jayco 1007 pup.

Sjm9911 and firepit like this.
  6. swe13

swe13 New Member

First couple times out, we didn't set up the canopy, seemed like a hassle. Takes 30 seconds to set up the camper, and the awning takes 5-10 minutes (after a steep learning curve). Now we set it up every time. It almost doubles our space, gives us a little respite from the kids, helps keep dirt outside, and does a pretty good job of keeping the bugs away. If we keep the popup door open, the ac does a pretty good job of cooling both areas.

camper awning.jpg

neighbormike, Rocket Don and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

I am finding this thread interesting; so thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts here.

We have an attached awning on our pup and have never used it in the year plus we've owned the pup.
    We seem to be camping quite a bit like we did when we were tent camping and that is minimally. In the 35+ years of tent camping we only ever rigged an awning up once and that was b/c we had my 87 year old mother with us and she wanted something attached to the van, which she was sleeping in. Also, we ended up with 3 straight days of continuous rain and there were 5 of us. Good times! ;)
    We do all our cooking on our coleman powerhouse stove, which we set on the end of the picnic table. Then when we're done, everything gets put away in the pup. The only thing left outside is the vinyl table cloth clipped to the picnic table and our folding chairs, usually folded up and tucked under the pup when not being used.
    I think the reason for this lack of set up is b/c we don't spend much time at our campsite, but are out doing things during the day. We do sit around in the evening at the picnic table with meal prep, eating and clean-up. We have a full kitchen in our pup, but have only used an electric kettle to make our morning coffee and the microwave to reheat leftovers.

I think if we spent more time at our campsite, as well as inclement weather, then I could see wanting/needing an awning. In our case now, we'd probably just use our kitchen in the pup, though.
    Now, if I could get/have an awning that would roll up/out like a window shade and had the support poles that are attached to the side of the camper, then I think I would use it at least for shade in the evening while enjoying an adult beverage before bed.

kcsa75 likes this.
  8. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Active Member Platinum Supporting Member

Like so many others posting here, we've always set the portable stove outside under the awning and did our "stove cooking" there. [honestly, 99% of that has been for morning coffee and tea kettle]

One benefit that hasn't been mentioned yet [and this is a "Guy Thing"], when nature calls in the middle of the night, and it's raining, I've heard that some guys, some guys might just answer that call at the edge of the awning cover.... that's what I've heard

Happy Trails!

neighbormike and kcsa75 like this.
  9. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

How can you NOT want this kinda hotness:
    [​IMG]
    I mean, Come On MAN!!!!!
    [{}=][{}=][{}=][{}=][:P][:D][A]:wink:[A][:D][{}=][{}=][{}=][{}=]

10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I think this is a lot of the reason for varying answers. If I camped at a campground like this with no trees and no separation between the parking pad and the "camping area", I would be more inclined to use an awning or canopy.

My camping is more spread out with a larger site. No sense being stuck right on the side of the camper when there is plenty of room to stretch.

11. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

It's not like we sit under the awning all night. Heck, we almost never sit under the awning... maybe 2 or 3 times in the past 8 seasons of owning the PUP, when it was pouring rain.

To me it's like having a front porch on your house. Doesn't mean you can't also go out in the back yard and hang out, but it gives you a sheltered place where you don't have to worry about stuff getting wet from a freak rain or getting beat on by direct sun. It's where we do most our cooking as well.

neighbormike likes this.
  12. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

I love my awning and always have it set up unless there is a major wind. I have a Shademaker that is a replacement for a Dometic. It is very similar to the Dometic and I honestly have no problems with a solo setup.
    It did take me several practice runs to learn how to easily get it set up but that is true of all aspects of the camper.
    It is awesome for when it’s raining, providing shelter by the door and allowing the windows and door to stay open for ventilation. I also believe it helps by keeping the sun off the side of the pup when it’s hot.
    My set up routine is simply cranking the pup to half way, unzipping the awning allowing it to unroll. I then finish cranking. Then I insert the poles to the side of the roof, drop down the legs as well. The hardest part can be tying down the guy lines when on a gravel surface. I always do this after seeing many campers get caught unaware of winds kicking up.
    My take down is pretty much just reversing the above steps.
    Minus the staking of guy wires it only takes 5-7 minutes.

neighbormike likes this.
  13. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

No offense meant. I just saw a big difference between J Starsky's campsite and those I frequent. There is a more definitive change between parking pad and campsite and it's not very conducive to setting stuff up right next to the camper and I have more space to spread out. I rarely see awnings used out here when I camp. I more often see stand alone canopies and tarps. Awnings just aren't that practical.

neighbormike likes this.
  14. wusthof

wusthof Active Member

While you are correct in the "juice isnt worth the squeeze" mantra, here in Vancouver Canada its a must have for rain.....something is better than nothing. If its all sunny weather, we generally don't bother

15. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

So many memories!!

J Starsky likes this.
  16. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm bringing the Sexy back to Awing Popup Life. APL #Always [CK][:O)]

HappyTraveler and neighbormike like this.
  17. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

Like so many others we set up a cooking station where the outlet and gas connection are and the wife and I have mastered setting up the awning. So far I have not been confronted with doing it alone and I probably would run short of cuss words before completing that task.

neighbormike likes this.
  18. Ed Llorca

Ed Llorca New Member

I made my awning 11x9 for $40. Going to improve it by making it handle wind better. Wouldn't want to camp without it.

HappyTraveler and neighbormike like this.
  19. mandinga

mandinga Active Member

When I had my popup, I set the awning up everytime, and never put it up for wind or storms. I had a "Carefree" brand awning. All the poles were already attached. It took 3 minutes to setup with 2 people, 5 minutes with one person. There were also brackets on the side of the camper, so the uprights could either go on the ground, or attached to the camper. I always tied it down if the poles were not attached to the camper. Never had an issue with wind. I liked having an area somewhat sheltered from rain while cooking, plus kept stuff falling from trees out of our stuff. I now have a 20 foot awning on out TT. It takes 30 seconds holding the button to setup. It has no poles going to the ground, so if its going to be stormy, I will put some anchors into the ground, and run some rachet straps to the awning.

neighbormike and J Starsky like this.