Awning Poles To Heavy To Store In Awning Bag ?

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by TX_F2, May 15, 2009.

1. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

I tried doing a Search but could not find an answer or used bad keywords, so if this has been answered before I apologize.

We just bought a new 2008 Jayco 1006 yesterday, and I had a question about the awning. The poles for the awning are HEAVY and I am worried about the awning bag tearing if I store them in there due to the weight. I drove home from the dealer with the awning bag minus the poles in it (put them in the storage trunk) and the times I did look in my mirror to check it, the awning bag did not appear to be flopping around (except maybe once or twice).

So where do you guys store your awning poles, in the bag or elswhere ?

TIA

2. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

I store mine inside the camper. Not enough room in my awning bag for the 12 pole halves that my awning uses. I have two bag they go in and just slide them inside the door on the floor so I have easy access to them when we set up. There are poles in the front edge of the awning that I do leave there. I just keep the rafter and ground poles inside the camper.

Now there are type of bag awnings where the the two outside poles are made to fold up and roll up into the awning bag. I know Carefree's Campout awning is like that for sure and the bag is designed to hold the extra weight.

3. wiscgeocamper

wiscgeocamper Waukesha, WI

I have always stored the three awning poles in the awning bag and have never had a problem. I think the bags, nowadays, are designed to hold all of the awning setup stuff and are sturdy enough. Now, that being said, I don't consider the poles that came with our awning excessively heavy. They're the telescopic, snap-in type made of aluminum. But I still think the bag was designed to hold all of the poles as well as the awning.

4. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

I store mine inside the camper too .

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

We store our poles in a PVC tube across the front of the PUP. I would not like to have anything stored with the canvas that could damage it or the bag.

6. Luv2ridebikes

Luv2ridebikes New Member

Ours came in the bag with the awning. The support poles are permanently attached to the front rail, but the 4 rafter poles are independent. We keep the rafter poles on the bed for storage now. I'm sure the bag would hold them, but I've read stories about torn bags or zipper damage from a pole not inserted correctly in the bag. So we carry them inside to hopefully avoid the issue.

7. gkosel

gkosel Fargo, ND (Next Trip - ?)

I have a 2008 Jayco 1207 and I always store the poles in the bag. That is how it came and that is where they showed me to put them during my walk through with the dealer. My awning has three poles to the ground and three rafter poles, but I easily fit them into the bag. I would think that without having the poles in the bag that you bag would blow up and over the camper on the road.

Mine has actually done that a couple of times with the poles in the bag. I am going to be trying some heavy duty Velcro to make sure the bag is held in place.

So I have no worries at all about storing them in my bag.

8. FSHNFOOL76

FSHNFOOL76 New Member

Mine go on the floor next to the folded down galley.

9. srds

srds Freeport,Texas

Pvc pipe at the back of pup.

10. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

Well I actually opened up the awning bag and inside it were two pole bags,stakes, and set up directions. Probably should have done that before posting here. [:I]

The directions SPECIFICALY say that you can store the two end divider bars and the center spacer bar in the awning bag, that still leaves all the tension rafter and snap button poles though. When I opened up the awning bag there were two pole bags in it so I will just store the left over poles in those and either put them in the storage box or do that PVC tube mod on the rear bumper and store them there.

Thanks for help everyone. :)