awning repair/replacement

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by kristy obryan, Aug 6, 2021.

1. kristy obryan

kristy obryan Member

I have a 17 foot Fleetwood Avalon highwall camper and the awning bag is starting to rip away from the rubber that holds it onto the camper. Is this something that can be repaired? If not, anyone know where I can get a replacement awning bag? Most of the awnings I see online don't seem long enough.

2. Everett Bartlett

Everett Bartlett Active Member

If you are handy sewing, you can make your own replacement bag. You can order the Kedar strip, and the zipper from Sailrite, as well as the material for it. You can sew it yourself on a home sewing machine, preferably a older Singer type. For information on how to do it, search on here for: "Awning Bag Challenge". The other way to do it is to contact your local bat canvas shop.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

As a temp fix .... lashing straps could be added to help hold the bag together.

4. KRV75

KRV75 New Member

It's easily fixable. I fixed 2 bags a couple weeks ago. One from my 2006 Fleetwood Highlander Niagara and the other from a 2007 Fleetwood Highlander Arcadia. Remove the metal part that holds the legs before attempting repair. This will reduce the weight significantly and make it much easier to work with while sew.

I tried a 20 year old Kenmore sewing machine but it couldn't handle the hardness of the rubber. I have a hand cranked cobbler sewing machine that I got from amazon from $100 for some leather projects. Also bought some Tenara thread which is PTFE and will will outlast the rest of the camper. The Tenara is a little difficult to work with but did fine with the cobbler sewing machine. Some people use a hand sewing awl which takes hours to complete.

I got the best results with the rubber facing up.

If you want to give it a go on a regular sewing machine, you can ditch the rubber and go with a nylon awning cord from Coleman Popup Parts / Beckley's.