Awning repair

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by bandc12, Aug 31, 2012.

1. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

What is the best way to fix a small tear in awning. It isn't ever a tear per say.. We dropped the awning a little during some wind and when DH opened the door it flew out of his hand and the top cornor of the door caught the awning. I was thinking a vinyl repair kit but also saw some posts about some kind of rubber repair that a lot of people use to patch hip wader and scuba suits?? What seems the most successful?

2. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

Duct tape? Sorry, had to say it before someone else!

A pool liner repair kit should work.

3. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

No Duct tape Honey Boo Boo

4. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

I have duct tape covering a slit in my roof right now. I wonder if duct tape comes in white ???

5. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I wonder if contact cement would bond to the awning material as well as something like Tyvek? I would block it out good and flat with something like a section of plywood underneath it (careful with the corners or you'll be doing two repairs). Lay it out nice and neat; paint on the contact cement; paint cement onto the patch, then when the glue cures, lay it out and block it down with a sheet of wax paper on top weighted by a cinder block (again, careful with the block and corners).

I've never done anything like that, but it sounds doable. I'd be tempted to try it on a small corner where it doesn't matter in case it doesn't stick as well as it should. I think the end result would be to hold the adhesive in the tear rather than using the patch for primary waterproofing anyway. If you get it good and flat, the adhesive should be enough to make it waterproof.

6. SteveM_CT

SteveM_CT Member

7. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

What kind of fabric is the awning made of? If it's a vinyl, then you'll need to patch it. If it's a cloth fabric, you can over-stitch it.

Using contact cement in vinyl can be a hit and miss proposition. Sometimes it bonds well, sometimes it doesn't. The key is to get the vinyl as clean as possible before applying the cement.

Here's a video from Sailrite:

Vinyl Cement HH-66 for Vinyl Fabrics

8. flakeyspam

flakeyspam New Member

camping world and Walmart both sell awning repair tape we used it on a small tear and it lasted two years we no longer have the camper so I don't know beyond that

9. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

our walmart sells Duct tape sheets in all kinds of patterns [:D]

as well as rolls of camo, zebra, hot pink,etc [:D] [:D]

10. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member