Awning Replacements

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Rabbit86, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Rabbit86

Rabbit86 New Member

So the last few trips we haven't used the awning due to stormy conditions. After we returned home, we did the usual pop up/set up for extra cleaning and decided to setup the awning. We noticed the bag is really falling apart. After looking at some potential NTU pop ups, we noticed a major improvement? to the awnings on the newer campers. The rods popped into sockets attached to the camper under the awning bag, and there were brackets on the campers to put the awning in if you didn't want to stake it. I like having the awning out as it allows us to put the stove outside (giving us a nice nightstand outside) where it wont get wet and ruin the wood "frame" that is used to mount the stove to the cabinet inside and the track outside.

The awnings we looked at were Dometic branded (A&E and or Trim Line?), looking online they have a "add a room" type feature available if we wanted it (we have that for the Coleman awning). So - my question, if you haven't gotten bored reading already is - has anyone purchased and installed one of these on an older Fleetwood/Coleman pop up? Any issues or lookouts? Are you happier with this than the original? Does it seem to provide the same light rain protection the "factory" awning provides?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok , here goes . I never used my awning on my pop up. The bag was shot. You csn have people re sew it or get another one. I had a brand new used once add room also. As my camper was 20 years old i figured the previous owner didnt use it , and spend a ton for it , so it was probably a pita. I didn get an outside screen room. Insta up tent, gazzel off amazon. Its not an awning, but its easy, cheap and has screens. Its the same as a clam shelter. The stove peice, i left out on the rain, it fell apart. I rebult the wood frame with plywood and sealed ot with bedliner, water proof now. Good luck.

3. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Wether you get the add a room depends on your normal campsites you frequent. For me. A lot of the time my sites aren’t very wide or have bad slopes where the door is. Sometimes I’m unable to put the awning fully out because I have a tree in the way. So a separate screen or canopy with screens/side panels make better since. I do deploy my awning as best as I can if weather isn’t that windy, like you, I do cook outside. However I can hangout under the canopy where I have control on how flat the ground is etc. The add a rooms can also be a bit time consuming to put up. So For me the money is not worth it especially since I already have a canopy/screen house. Now if you camp in nice size sites that are mostly flat and are able to hang out under the awning then great. You may find the add a room is beneficial.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

If you go with a replacement I’d recommend: http://www.rvawningsrus.com/

He did a bag replacement for me and sells complete units too.

Best of luck!

6. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

We have a Dometic with screen room and love it. That is used for cooking and sitting room. It does add to setup time, but not bad when you get the routine down. The curtains are great for blocking sun or wind. I also have a stand alone screen room, but if it's raining you have to get in the rain and usually walk through mud getting to the screen room or back to the camper.

Dan Wilson likes this.
  7. Rabbit86

Rabbit86 New Member

Thanks for the feedback. We have seen the shademaker awnings online and may go that route as the construction seems a little more robust. We may just keep bringing the quick canopy for sitting outside as our current camping habits don't really justify the work and cost of the add on screen room, and the quick setup of the separate canopy keeps it easy. Lots of memories from the add-a-room, with the kids sleeping out there, but they don't come with us much now anyway. We used ours for cooking and eating as well. It was great when a couple of their friends would go with us, as they could have their "own room". Probably going to keep using the small electric cook plate too and just leave the stove section in the shed.

8. davekro

davekro Active Member

(Moved from a thread I highjacked)
    davekro Billy, Hah, I guess my mind was wanting to see ‘Spacemaster’ in your signature, so it did. LOL.

We have the same dinette by the bigger front bunk where we sleep. Since it’s just the two us and have not had a cold weather trip yet*, we leave the table out under the awning. We have two small 9 lb dogs. They use the dinette bench seat to get up on the bed, so I that works. We’re going camping this next weekend, so we’ll see if keep the table (and us) inside for warmth. ;o)

The awning ours came with has no zippers along any edges. Did yours come with the Dometic awning w/ screen room, or did you buy it. We Only paid $1000 for our pup, I kind of balk at spending $300-$500 for a screen room (10x7), 1/3 to 1/2 the pup investment. If you bought an after market screen room, I’d be curious how it attaches (zipper, other). Do you have something like this one? https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pr...ssories/dometic-trimline-screen-room-_-164353

If we decide to buy a larger pup next season to keep long term, then probably a $500 investment amortized over years would be fine.

Have you replaced your awning bag? I have one on back order that DW will need to add a a zipper to and a loop of material to run a rope thru like the OEM bag.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  9. BillyMc

It's a Dometic and I bought each separately on sale. The awning and screen room zip together. The room attaches to the PUP with snaps and velcro. I don't remember how much I paid exactly, but I pretty sure it's less than $400 for both. I got a tan awning and a gray screen room, but I got a deal!
    When buying a bag awning you get one that is 6" - 1' shorter than your mounting rail. The bag is longer than the awning. If you plan to add a screen room the awning edges need to be pretty much lined up with the lifts. There are flaps that wrap around the lifts and secure with velcro. There was no awning when we bought the PUP. I got one piece from a RV supplier on line and the other on Ebay.

10. davekro

davekro Active Member

Billy, thanks for the info. I'll put off shopping for a screen room for this pup. If we upgarde to a 12' box next season to keep long term, I'll revisit this topic.

For now, if anyone has any awning enclosure DIY hacks you'd like to share, I'd love to hear them. A limit I see for using off the shelf sun shade screening is I've only seen 6' widths at big box storers and on line. I guess sewing is an option.

11. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

In my opinion awnings should be taken off and thrown in the dumpster. 10x10 Ez-Up canopies are inexpensive and can have walls easily attached for less than $100-$200.
    They wont pull on your roof, or act like a sail trying to tear your roof off during a storm or windy days.

12. BillyMc

But if it's raining you have to walk in the rain/mud to get from one to the other.

13. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Not when it's up against the pup. May get a few dribbles
    Not of you push it next to the pup. May have a few dribbles but the roof will be safe

14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Sadly on my popup pushing it up against the door would not work as I couldn't open my door with the canopy there so it depends on your camper. I use the canopy but still need an awning to prevent getting wet. Now I've pushed my canopy up against the awning so I have a short walk under cover to be the canopy.

BillyMc and bheff like this.
  15. BillyMc

In rainy weather push it against opening to the screen room and put the picnic table under it.

16. cabranch47

cabranch47 Member

I got the Shademaker also and have been very pleased with it. Easier to set up and adjust. All poles fold into the awning rail. I attach mine to the side of the pup and like it that way.