awning rod broke in half :(

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by katie green, Sep 9, 2021.

1. katie green

katie green New Member

hey there! our awning rod broke in half after a bad storm... so right now, our awning is useless. i'm having trouble finding the part i need and was curious if you knew where i could order just the one part? or does it make sense to order a whole new bag awning? see below for the photo - i circled the rod in blue! thanks for any else you can provide!

Attached Files:

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Unfortunately, as far as I found, there is no way of buying just a part for an awning. However I'm thinking you could perhaps make something out of PVC or a metal conduit pipe. The awning legs may not nest in it as nicely but it should be fairly simple fix or a good temporary fix. Unfortunately it does appear new awnings are majorly behind in production and unable to keep up with demand if you even find someone willing to take a new order so that is something to keep in mind if you choose to get a new one.

neighbormike likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

What camper is it and where are you located? I still have the awning from my westlake 20 foot box. it may be too big or incompatible. The tenting is shot, if your in nj you can have it.

4. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

is that the one with like dual u channels so the legs can store inside?

I get yelled at whenever I start taking the awning down whenever I feel the wind picking up.

5. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

You can easily make a new rod out of EMT conduit. If it is less than 10' in length, then it is trivial, because the EMT comes in 10' lengths. If it is longer (like ours at 12') then you have to splice EMT (different sizes), but it is not that bad.

6. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I had a similar issue a few years ago. Even though I had my awning angled (one awning pole lower than the other so rain can runnoft [LOL]), the rain came down so hard and fast, it bent the cross beam. Took a while to get it back to a usable state again. But I had called the awning manufacturer, Dometic, and they do sell a replacement. But the cost was such that I could have bought a new awning.

7. Nimron

Nimron Active Member

My brother in law borrowed our popup and had a similar experience with rain, he had a new pole made with conduit. It has held up for 12 plus years.

8. katie green

katie green New Member

thanks everyone! i think we'll try the conduit and see how that works! brilliant ideas!!!!

9. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

[email protected] Active Member

we found that the tiki torch pipe slid perfectly inside our bag awning support poles. cut to appropriate length attached the buttons it did work if you need photos a can do that during this weekend camping trip