Awning Support Poles

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by sch5034, Aug 1, 2016.

1. sch5034

sch5034 New Member

We took our new Rockwood 1940LTD out for our second trip this past weekend. As we were setting up the awning, one of the support poles that goes from the camper out to the end of the awning came apart. As it turns out, each section of pole has some sort of cam-screw plastic end thingy that allows you to pull it out to whatever length you need, then twist the pole to tighten it against the next section of pole. The end of the aluminium pole is (was) just crimped onto the plastic connector, and one of them pulled loose. Of course, the plastic cam-screw thingy is now fully tightened and completely stuck about 1/2 the way into the other tube. As the camper is still new, and under warranty, I'm going to try to get the dealer to fix this, but I have doubts that they won't just say I broke it and not cover it.

Is anyone else familiar with the type of awning supports that I'm talking about... and if so, are there any suggestions on how to fix this myself? My first thought is to just set the two pole where they need to be when fully deployed, drill a hole straight through, and use a pin. This wouldn't allow me to adjust the tension at this one junction...

2. dentito

dentito New Member

What make is the awning? I an also having problems with my awning poles.

3. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

I've heard of people using painter roller poles to replace their awning poles. Surely a little WD 40 and some channel lock pliers could loosen the tightening nut on your poles? Maybe I don't understand the problem. The pin idea would work but I thing it would be one more thing to lose each time you set up.

4. travisma

travisma New Member

Can you get to the cam from the top end? If so, maybe try putting a rod of some sort in there then try tapping the cam back down. Hopefully after a couple of taps it'll loosen without damaging it.

5. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 New Member

I had acquired two frames for Easy Ups who's fabric had died. I took the extension poles off and chucked the rest and these are my awning poles. The are strong, light, have large feet with holes for stakes, and lots of loops on the top for attaching ropes to. Did I mention they were free?
    [​IMG]

6. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

If I have you correct you are talking about the poles from the tip of the awning pole to the ground or the tip of the awning back to the camper, Right? If so you might have just got a little sand in there and all I can think is to flush with water while trying to loosen and tighten the poles. I had this happen to me and I wasn't sure I was going to get these poles back down to fold up the awning. [:(!] I got it by using a back and forth twist till the sand came loose and water and grit came out. The thing was I wasn't sure I was turning the poles the right way to tighten and loosen. so I was very careful to not use any pliers on them so I wouldn't screw up the poles. keep trying and good luck. [8D]

7. jdlamps101

jdlamps101 New Member

I went to Lowes and bought 3 metal conduit 1/2 poles, and 10 feet each for 13.50 total. I will cut them down to the right size. They do not bend at all.
    My awning is a very heavy one and needs a support pole going crossways at the end as well. I bought a very stiff 3/4 inch 10 foot PVC pipe and will drill 1/2 inch holes where the pipes will fit in.
    Right now I am replacing the brakes so I have not had time to check out the awning set up I have planned.

Attached Files:

8. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 New Member

Airborne, my brother. 1st Battalion, 187th Infantry (Abn) 1964 to July 1965 when we became 1/12 (Abn), 1st Airborne Bde, 1st Cav (short lived as an airborne brigade and started getting legs in late 1965 but those on jump status stayed on jump status). 82nd Airborne Divarty and 1st Bde (Abn), Charlie Airborne (C Co. (Abn), 1/9th Mech Alaska, and finally with Special Forces Avn., Special Warfare Center, Ft. Bragg.

9. sch5034

sch5034 New Member

Quick update... I was able to get the stuck part out with the assistance of a really long drill bit. The plastic end cap with the cam-lock was not fully crimped onto the end of the pole. I've supplied photos to the dealer, hoping for a warranty replacement - of course they have stopped returning my calls/emails. Service guy keeps asking for a picture of the label on the awning, and all I can find is a tag that they say indicates the fabric part, not the frame. I think I'll just Gorilla Glue the end cap back in place and move on. The cam-lock, twist together pole sections design on this awning is a terrible setup, but it seems to be working for now. Hopefully the rest of the cam-locks will stay attached to the poles.

For those that were asking about the model/brand - the bag it lives in says Dometic, but I have no idea on the model number.