Awning Support Pots

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by mandolinpicker, Aug 9, 2020.

1. mandolinpicker

mandolinpicker Member

In the thread "Do You Sleep with the Awning Up?" I posted a picture of our awning support pots. Blue411 then asked if we had any additional pics, so we thought we would post this series on how the pots are created.

We start with a plastic flower pot that is about 8-inches deep. Since our awning has three supports, we used three pots and created all three at the same time.
    [​IMG]

Next is a piece of PVC pipe about 11-inches in length. The inside diameter should be big enough to allow your awning support pole to easily slip in it. Next, drill a hole about 2-inches from the bottom and insert any old bolt, rod etc. This secures the PVC pipe in the concrete and stops it from slipping out. Also, your awning pole will sit on this bolt, and being slightly elevated it helps keep the pole out of any water that collects in the bottom of the pot.

[​IMG]

Set the PVC pipe with the bolt into the pot. Mix up some concrete and pour it into the pot around the pipe (An extra set of hands can help hold the pipe in place while you pour the concrete). The type of concrete really doesn't matter, it is the weight of the concrete that is your friend. Smooth it out and let it cure. Also, make a unique mark each pot. This way you know which pot goes with which awning pole. The picture below shows one of our original pots we made for our 2004 Niagara - and we are still using them today with our Arcadia.

[​IMG]

After everything has cured open your awning and insert the awning support. Drill a hole through the outside of the PVC pipe, through the awning support, and through the other side of the PVC pipe. You will want to raise the awning up so you only drill through the bottom awning pole. Now insert a pin (or bolt, etc.) to secure the pole into the pot.

[​IMG]

One nice thing is that you can use the pots with your screen room. Here is a pic from a trip to Niagara Falls. We were there for a week so we put up the screen room and tent. You can see the flower pots securing the awning in place with the screen room. She even has the flowers "growing" up the awning pole.

[​IMG]

Another added benefit I have found to using the pots is that I can now raise the awning by myself. Once the roof is raised I lower the awning so that it is flat against the trailer. I take the two end rails rotate them outwards, inserting each end into a pot. While carrying one of the awning roof braces, I walk the awning up - the pots keep the outside poles in place and they don't slip out. I can now attach the one roof brace in place, bringing rigidity to the set up. It is then easy to move to the other roof braces, insert them in place, and then begin to extend the end poles upward raising the awning.

Hope that helps!