Awning Support "Rafters"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by LifesAGrill, May 4, 2009.

1. LifesAGrill

LifesAGrill Raymond, MS

I broke the end off of one of my "rafter" poles on my awning. I got in a hurry because it was pouring down rain and tornado warning had been issued. Anybody got a fix for this. My initial thought pattern was to drill a hole in the plastic end and then thread it with a die and put a bolt in it and then cut off the head to the proper length.

Hopefully somebody has done this repair and can come to my rescue!

Happy camping!

2. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

If it is a plastic piece in the end, it should be able to be pried or popped out, then you could thread a bolt from the backside and put a nylon nut on the outside at the length you need....

3. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

This is what Oz and Us posted over in PUX. He cut off the remnants, drilled a pilot hole in the remaining plastic cap, added a brass plumbing part measuring 3/4 inch x 3/8 inch O.D., securing it with a stainless steel wood screw.

[​IMG]

4. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

This happened to us. Coleman had replacement pieces just used a pair of pliers to pull out old one and put new one in. Prior to this I cut the awning rafter just behind the crimp and had a new one made where I work and then just drilled an extra hole in the adjustment area. Buying the new ones is much easier.

5. LifesAGrill

LifesAGrill Raymond, MS

Thanks for the replies. Donnie and Cheryl, this is the thought process I was thinking about on the way home. Davylee I will check with the local dealer, but I already know the answer from them. All they want to do is give me the highest price fix for any problem that occurs. They are not on my side.