Awning that attaches to side?

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Indiana, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Indiana

Indiana Just a bunch of squirrels, looking for a nut

In this CL ad, the picture shows the awning attached to the side of the pup:
    https://stlouis.craigslist.org/rvs/5119400609.html

Do you think this is an owner mod, or a differnt type of awning?

Putting up the bag awning was a pita of course, but on our last trip we found the ground so hard we could not put in any stakes to hold the poles. I was afraid someone would bump the poles and have the awning fall on their head. We ended up trying to manuver near enough to the bolted down picnic table so as to lask the awning poles to the table. Extra pita.

The awning is the one major thing I do not like about the pup. Having an automatic awning could almost drive me to the dark side....(but there are issues there too).

2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

The Dometic trimline awning that comes with some popups does not normally need to be staked down. It can attach to either the side of the popup or down to the ground (ours goes to the ground, but if you remove the rubber feet there are balls on them which mate with brackets you can buy on eBay)

3. sallyannie75

sallyannie75 New Member

The awning on my 1997 Palomino attaches to the side. You could easily mod yours to attach this way with flagpole holders (the kind that you would use on your house) and new poles. Do a search and you will see how others have done it.

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I was going to do this mod to ours since the dog chain gets tangled on the poles, so I tried it temporarily just placing the feet of our awning up against the sides of the camper... and darned if I don't hate having to walk around those angled poles all the time.

5. cprdnick

cprdnick Just Clint

Carefree of Colorado and Shademaker both make awnings that don't touch the ground, but none of them are "roll up" like you would have on a hard side, too much weight is the reason I believe.

6. Indiana

Indiana Just a bunch of squirrels, looking for a nut

Oh thats a good point!

7. E3 Junkie

E3 Junkie Greetings from Granada Hills, CA.

I own a Shademaker that attaches to the sides, but I can set it up either way, with the poles on the ground or attached to the PUP frame.

8. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

In the 11 yrs we have had ours I have yet to stake down the awning. Only once in 45 mph winds I had to put it away in the middle of the night but other then that one time nothing. We camp about 60 days a year most years.

9. cprdnick

cprdnick Just Clint

[​IMG]

10. 97Widerider

97Widerider Making Memories

Flag pole holders sounds like the perfect solution to the modification I am trying to acheive. Thanks for the replies ya'll.