Awning .trouble......HELP

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by campingqueen1968, Jun 8, 2015.

1. campingqueen1968

campingqueen1968 New Member

New to popup camping I recently had my 2003 Coleman Yuma out camping with the awning down, started raining, figured it would be ok but then the wind picked up and the awning tore off the camper. It appears that the bag where it connects to what I consider a plastic rubberized gasket that slides into the bracket on the camper has ripped its stitching. I'm guessing also that with the age of the camper the stitching has just rotted being out in the elements.

My question is should I just order a new awning bag, and if so where do you suggest? Or should I try to find someone with an extremely heavy duty sewing machine and try to fix it. My gut is telling me to buy a new bag because the zipper seems to catch in a few spots. And how easy is it to replace?

Suggestions are appreciated. [PU]

2. E3 Junkie

E3 Junkie Greetings from Granada Hills, CA.

I would not recommend putting the same thing up there that you had. It will eventually fail again. Instead, get yourself something called Keder Welt, and have an automotive upholstery shop sew it on your existing awning. I've used a place called Sailmaker's Supply and purchased the correct length of 60413 white Keder Welt. This stuff is way better than the original welt.

3. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

Most any awning shop or upholstery shop can sew the bag. Rub a candle or a proper color crayon on the zipper to lube it.

4. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

I would shop prices. If you plan on replacing the bag it might be less hassle to replace the whole awning. Check out the " deals to good not to pass on category" there is a thread there about awnings on sale I forget which ones. But if I remember correctly you can get one for yours well under $300

5. frolin

frolin Member

Mine was half torn off after driving half cross country and being very old. I saw a post on here that I copied. I took some small stainless bolts, washers and self locking nuts and installed. Drilled through the plastic / rubber and just under the older seam line. Working like a charm. used about 30 on my awning.

6. tgore76

tgore76 Member

Bear creek canvas will sew new bag and ship back or under $100

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. tgore76

tgore76 Member

I stand corrected. I just contacted Bearcreek and they no longer do bag replacements. Heck no I'm going to have to find a place to send mine!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of Canvas shops that can repair it for you at a reasonable price. I know around me there are a bunch that do custom boat covers. Look for canvas shops, ask at local marinas or sail shops, they will all know who does good work at good prices.

If it were mine, I would sew it back together and keep going. If it is still in good condition other than the awning rope there is not much different in a new bag awning from what you probably already have.

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

My wife sewed one in using her sewing machine at home, she went over it twice and it works great now

10. ricko

ricko Member

+1 on the tent and awning shop... or a marine upholstery shop.

11. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Well with the bad news that Bear Creek no longer do bag replacements I now have come to the decision to scrap the bag altogether on my 06 Yuma(Gardner hit zipper with weed wacker) I'm just going to drill holes through the plastic like Frolin and remove it when I'm towing it ( stitching rotted). I'll just strap it to the top of the pup

12. bldmtnrider

bldmtnrider Member

I took mine to an auto upholstery repair shop. They did it while I waited and only charged me $10.

13. campingqueen1968

campingqueen1968 New Member

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I think I went in "camping mode" and figured out what I needed to do to make do with the situation for this awning seeing a new one was not affordable at this moment and there are no canvas/marina shops in my area. So here's what I did, and it worked out great! Might not be perfect but for the time being it works and only cost me around $12 for the boxes of screws, nuts and washers.

Thanks again :)

Attached Files: