Awning up!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Artist60164, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Artist60164

Artist60164 Active Member

I need some help putting my awning together. So many poles. I watched a few youtube videos that show a roll down awning. Mine does not roll down. Please help.

2. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Depending on the size of your awning you will have 2 or 3 poles that go from the headrail of the awning to the ground and 2 or 3 poles that go from the headrail to the popup roof, called rafter poles (these will have a nipple at one end and a crutch foot on the other).
    Raise the roof part way then unroll the awning.
    Stretch the awning away from the popup extend the vertical poles from the headrail to the ground (it helps to have a 2nd person to hold the awning in place)
    Attach a rafter pole from the headrail to the side of the roof of the popup (the center rafter pole if you have 3)
    Attach the remaining rafter poles and finish raising the roof.
    Adjust the height of the awning by adjusting the length of the vertical legs.
    Really pretty easy once you've done it. You got this!

kcsa75 likes this.
  3. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I'm the oddball and say take the awning off and throw it in the dumpster. Get an EZ-Up and enjoy it.

Dan Wilson and Artist60164 like this.
  4. Artist60164

okay the awning is up and really does help cool the PUP. My question is we have two types of three poles. We have the spring loaded with the little tip as the to the ground pipes. And to the camper we have telescoping capped on one end and what looks like an eyehole of a needle connected to the little tip which connects to the spring loaded poles to the ground.

5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Typically, the spring loaded poles act as the rafters. They should have rubber or plastic feet that go up against the roof. Adjustable poles are your vertical, height/ pitch adjusting poles.

Be-Ce likes this.
  6. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

For this type of awning, the spring loaded poles with the tip go against the camper just under the awning. The adjustable poles with the needle like eye hole will go on the ground. The tips of the spring loaded poles go through the upright pole "eyes" and then into the hole(s) on the outer awning cross bar. Then ideally the upright poles are staked into the ground through the stake rings. It takes some work getting this set up, especially the first few times, but it is a stable set up once completed.

7. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Now I like my Dometic even more! All poles are attached to the awning. Unroll awning, extend poles into place, and stake it to the ground. Most trips I zip on the screen room also.

Artist60164 and bheff like this.
  8. Artist60164

Mine does attach to the channel near top of camper. Can I just roll mine up?

9. Artist60164

I have the ones with the tension from the ground up. Because the rafter ones do not have a little tightening wing nut.

10. Artist60164

You make good sense. My only problem is that the telescoping poles that would be the ground poles do not have a screw or wingnut to tighten. Maybe I put the wrong top poles on the wrong bottoms. Both have little black caps on end. One set of three have a v thing (okay I am a girl) at the end which I do not know its use. So I decided to buy this little house with everything ALREADY IN PLACE. JUST KIDDING untitled (2).png

11. Artist60164

I don't have any kind of tightener on either set of three poles. Well the awning was up. It wasn't slanted down to let the rain water slide off. So I had 2 little pools on my awning. I tried to push the water from the bottom. Almost worked, so I tipped one the the support poles and the side emptied of water. Then the other supporting poles fell. So now my camper is really shaded.
    th.jpg

12. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Often times, the adjustable poles will be the twist-lock style... may want to check to see if that's what you have.

13. Artist60164

Ohhhhhhhhh did not think of that. I will let you all know.

neighbormike likes this.
  14. Artist60164

Haaaaaaaaaa that might happen.

15. Artist60164

I have zippers all the way around. So I need to get a screen to zip into place.

16. BillyMc

My awning and my screen room were bought at different times, but on sale. They are not the same color, but I don't care. I had to shop, wait, and settle on color, but I got both for a little more than the regular cost of an awning.

17. Artist60164

You sound just like me.

18. Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly Member

Yup ot an electric awning lol. Did my 4 years with awning poles and tripping over tension cables. Lost 2 dozen scrambled eggs one morning tripping on tension rope. Not a drop on me but the dog and FIL ended up wearing most of it lol. Oh yeah they werent cooked yet! FIL swears i did it on purpose to this day lol. Maybe! Just maybe!

19. BillyMc

Screen room = no tension lines. Mine has poles with stake loops near the bottom of the poles, so unless heavy winds are expected we don't use tension lines even when not using the screen room.

20. Artist60164

Now that is a story that should be in a "Finally Can Look back and Laugh." Book