1. gary.donnell

gary.donnell Gary

Just bought a 1999-2000 StarCraft Meteorite. It does not have an awning. Any suggestions

2. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Measure to see what size awning you need for your camper size. Check ebay and craigslist for deals. Have fun!

3. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Does it have the rail to put the awning on? That would be the size. Use search at top of page. [8D]

4. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

I don't own one but the cabana awnings seem to be a favorite here, check them out on ebay.

5. gary.donnell

gary.donnell Gary

I just found the original paper work for the trailer and it has awning info. There are installation instructions for A&E Systems by Domestic. The popup is 8 ft long. Does that mean I order a 7 ft awning or an 8 ft?

6. etool8762

etool8762 New Member

I just got the cabana, I love it.
    [​IMG]

7. efehser

efehser New Member

Measure your awning rail (the c-shaped thing, door side roof) and order based on that. I believe A&E recommend the awning be slightly shorter than the rail, although the factory awning on my Jayco is slightly longer.

8. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

I posted here somewhere how to build one for only a few dollars but one was offered to me so I haven't done it yet. I'll send it to you if you're interested. A friend who's an engineer sat down with me and we mapped one out using metal conduit pipe, parachute cord and a section of canvas.

Doc

9. Boroviewfarm

Boroviewfarm Farmer marries veterinarian; now raises kids.

Etool, how easy is that to put up, take down, and store?

10. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I gotta ask... I LOVE the look and space of the Cabana! However, we always seem to be bucking the wind. Will it stay put without staking it down and putting in a bunch of lines? The ground here is normally hard packed gravel, and I've yet to really get a good stake in anywhere, so staking will be problematic for us.

Any thoughts.... yikes on the price though... that's 25% of what we paid for our PUP!!!

11. etool8762

etool8762 New Member

its super easy, First time setting up (alone) took me about 10 minutes just because i havent done it yet, had to find where poles went into fabric and stuff like that, Now that i know where everything goes about 5 minutes to set up. Packing away is just as fast and it all folds into a bag about 6" in diamiter and about 2 and a half feet long. I think their is alot more space then with the typical awning. As far as wind is concerned i have the "screw in" stakes but most people seem to just throw a few rocks and it holds it down their are only 2 lines to hook up(but i havent had to use them yet) and 1 tent style pole and then 3 slide n lock poles. all in all I give it 5 stars for ease of use, storage, and looks and space.
    ALSO its alot cheaper than buying an awning (250) and then the add a room (250) i scored this on ebay for 145+35s/h, but i see them on their for 199 by bannerbreeze or whatever his name is.
    Sorry about thoes pics i had only about 1/2 hour before it started to rain so i didnt fully open the pup.

12. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Ignore camping world prices. Awnings of all kinds are on eBay. Carefree awnings seem to be better than Dometic ones, except the cabana. You'd need a 9' for an 8'box.
    This is for an 11' awning.
    http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=140985387810

13. gary.donnell

gary.donnell Gary

I bought the 10 ft for my 8 ft box. I'll post pictures after I put it together. I figured bigger is better. :)

14. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

i have a 12 foot awning with a 12 foot box but even though the awning says 12 feet its actually a few inches smaller. its 136 inches instead of 144 inches.

15. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Love my Dometic Cabana Awning, look them up on Camping World to see the awning, breezeway, screenroom and private add a room, mine was a carport for my GC [8D]
    [​IMG]

16. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Better yet, look them up on eBay for 1/3 the price... ;)