Axel shackle lift

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Plattapuss, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Plattapuss

Plattapuss New Member

Hello..I just purchased a new to me flagstaff 206st. I’m preparing for a 2000mi trip. I noticed the tire size is supposed to be 12”. The tires on the pup are 13 inch. There seemed to be enough clearance so I wasn’t to worried about it. After purchasing I noticed someone put a longer shackle to raise the trailer. This puts the leaf springs not level. It also twists the axel and puts the camber slightly forward. The tires are about 5 years old so I’m thinking it’s ok to tow. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Thanks,

2. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

First off, knowing myself, I'd go.

Here's what would pop in my head as I was going 65 mph down a busy interstate . . .

"What if those were used tires they bought cheap just to sell the rig and no one knows if it is safe?"

3. Plattapuss

Plattapuss New Member

Yep I will go and I will worry about it. Tires are radials load range c 5 years old, visually in good condition so I think they are ok. If not they will be good when I get back.

4. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

OK, so first off, Welcome to the Portal, you came to the right place.
    Camber is the inward or outward tilt of the top of the wheel, not forward and backward. The forward and backward is caster, and as far as I know, there is no caster on a trailer axle. There there maybe some camber to have the tires ride flat on the road when the trailer is loaded, but no caster. There may also be some toe in, but not likely.

As for 5 year old tires, thats going to have to be a call that you make on your own. If you have a problem with them when you're out and going, there is no one to blame and point a finger at. A lot of people on here say that 5 years is all you get out of trailer tires, and that they must be changed at this time. I personally ran a set of tires for 16 years before I changed them. I constantly kept an eye for sidewall cracks, cracks between the treads, tread depth, broken belts, and just the overall appearance of the tire. I was running on borrowed time, but also didn't take them on a 2000 mile trip. I think I would probably get something new on there before going 2000 miles, but its a tough call. Yeah, I know you put 80,000 miles on your car tires and don't throw them out until they're basically bald, but these tires are a whole different story. Smaller dia., so they spin faster, which means more heat generated. They also carry more weight per tire.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    myride, Anthony Hitchings and kcsa75 like this.
  5. Plattapuss

Plattapuss New Member

Thanks for that information. Appreciate it. My plan is to do the over/under conversion and to put appropriate tires on at the same time. I think I am more comfortable with these tires than 12” bias tires they come with. Thanks again.

kcsa75 likes this.
  6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

We switched from 12" bias ply to 13" radials for their higher speed rating and ability to be patched if punctured. The higher speed rating is great in real life travelling.!

Wrenchgear likes this.