Axle Bearing Question

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Cortezfisherman, May 2, 2021 at 1:32 PM.

1. Cortezfisherman

Cortezfisherman New Member

Doing maintenance for a long trip on a 2008 Palomino Pony PU... I was going to replace the complete hubs on this camper but the ones I bought for my 1-1/16" axles were too deep and I couldn't get my nut tight enough to get the cotter pin in and there was no washer on the outside behind the castle nut when I took it apart. Seems like all kits come with a washer and you would think that it is needed. Looked a bunch and didn't find what I needed so I decided to repack the hubs I have. Came across this bearing on the second side. Wondering if it is going to be a problem? Looks good otherwise but there is a very small groove in the axle that may be the root cause of this. See pictures. If this axle hub needs to be replaced what am I up against? Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Welcome to the Portal. I see some staining, on the bearing ID and on the axle, which is not an issue. Would probably come off with brake or contact cleaner. What do the rollers look like? The bearing race looks ok.

3. Cortezfisherman

Thanks for the reply... The rollers look fine and the races are smooth and in good shape. I was just worried that the staining was heat related and caused the small groove on the axle. We are setting out on a 4K+ mile journey and want to make sure this won't be a problem.

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Bearing heat discoloration are blue tints. Over heated bearings show discoloration on both race and bearing rollers. I see a lot of lint on the roller bearing. Make sure all that is cleaned off before assembly. Hand pack grease in the bearing. I like the Lucas red and tacky grease. Don't over pack the hub so the excess grease has somewhere to go. Clean and lube the axle bearing and seal seats before assembly.

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 9:42 AM
  5. Cortezfisherman

Thanks for all the help! I'll be sure to come back here and let you know how we made out [8D]

WrkrBee likes this.