Working on my axle Conversion to put the leaf springs on top of the axle. You should never just flip the axle as it has a camber to it. You can buy the kit to do this, though I fabricate and weld as a hobby, so all I did was purchase the spring perches for about 12 bucks for the pair. Here is how it sat on my TV when I got it home for the first time today. The TV is a 1998 Durango 4x4 with 12" of lift and 35" tires. Here is the tire in the fender well, doing this conversion should get me 5" of lift on the camper. Right here it measures 22 5/8" from the ground to the center of the fender well. Camper is up on jack stands right now. Springs under the axle as of now. Looks like the bottom hole might net some more lift if I move the bolt down in it. Had to cut these wires to the electric brakes. I cut the blue/white wires so I know which ones to reconnect. Will solder them back together later. I'm thinking they had a blowout at one time, which now explains the damage up front. Rub marks Rear hanger showing another hole Can you make out the arch in the axle? This is why you simply do not just flip them. Once all nuts and bolts are removed, simply pry out the spring as it is held in place from the hangers pinching it. Axle info Up on the saw horses, took me 20 minutes to get to this stage. Removed the springs Set the new spring perches next to the old one for comparison. Both are 1.75" wide, though the new ones are for 3" axles, but I can weld them in anyway. See the gap on both ends since they are for the 3" axle? Went ahead and removed the drums to check the brakes and other components, plus change all the grease out. Back of drum showing the rear seal. All bearings checked out good. The part that activates the brakes. This is the electrical part of the system. When it activates, it magnetizes and grabs the inside of the drum, when it does, it pulls the arm that moves the pads against the drum to stop the camper. All pads need replacing As well as the brake adjustment bullet, notice the upper spring missing from it? Drums are in good shape. I will mask off the inside hub where the bearings go and sandblast the entire drum and paint. Need new rear seals as the springs are shot Over at the shop, I leveled the old axle perches and tacked the new ones in place. Put a cutting disk on the Angle Grinder to get the old pads off once the news ones were tacked in place. After removing the old perches I used a Tiger Paw disk to clean the area where I ground them off. The Tiger Paw does a clean smooth job of grinding metal down. Filled in the grooves I made and will grind them down smooth. Welded the perches in place. I welded them a little at a time and rotated back and forth between the two so the heat would not warp the axle. That is how far I got today. It took about 3 hours to do all this. Tomorrow morning I head back to the shop to sandblast everything, paint and then start putting it back together. I have to see if I can get brake parts locally or else order them online.