Axle crossover wire...

vetteyog

Apr 27, 2022
Central PA
Hi all, the wires that runs through the axle on my camper for the brakes is no good. I currently have wires zip-ties to the back of the axle to get power to the passenger side wheel. My question is, is there a trick to get the new wire through the inside of the axle. I tried to fish it through using the old wire, but it fell apart.

Thanks!!!

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
my crossover cable (2-conductor) is under a half-pvc pipe that is hose clamped to the top of the axle for a greater level of protection. I had previously tried zip ties on plain cable on top of the axle - but they were getting moved around.

Michael J

Aug 9, 2018
Michigan
Some days you can re feed them other days nope I think it depends sometimes on how rusted the tube is for them to slide though, like others of that much of a pain I'd just run on the outside with possible protection

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Mine is zip tied on the axel. Just check the zip ties every year, they do degrade. My wires have no added protection.

Commo SGT

Mar 3, 2020
I would purchase some stainless steel hose clamps to secure the wire to the axle. That should be a one time fix, unlike the plastic zip ties. Just make sure to measure the diameter of the axle tube to get the right hose clamps.

Tape a strong string (2.5x length) to the old wire and use that to pull the string through the axle. First, be sure to clean the area to be taped with alcohol or acetone to get the tape to hold because if that lets go, it’s back to square one. Once you have the cord in there, pull it until there’s only a couple feet hanging out the other end. Then tape the new wires to the halfway point of the string. Then you can pull the new set of wires through. By taping to the middle of the string, it will never be pulled entirely into the axle. That way you can try a few times until you get it.