Axle flip and tire size

Discussion in 'Taking Your Camper Off Road' started by Camp JT, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Camp JT

Camp JT New Member

My "new to me" '06 Starcraft 3608 will definitely need to be lifted, most likely an axle flip. The stock wheel size for my model is 14". After I flip the axle would I be able to upgrade my wheel size to 15"?

2. chipperone1

chipperone1 Member

Without more details and even a pic or two it is my best guess that ......

Yes you can, "flipping" will gain you about 5 inches in height above the tire.

3. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Well-Known Member

Just remember that the 15" side is the wheel diameter and not the diameter of the tire. You would need to compare the tire sizes to know the difference.

However, in general I agree with chipperone1.

4. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Keep in mind the proximity of the wheel/tire to your entry door or step. I just did a SPOA lift on my Pup and upgraded to a larger wheel/tire combo and it was close. I couldn't go as big as I wanted to, but it has certainly helped. I no longer scrap the Pup's bumper going in/out of driveways or parking lots. I can now hit the backcountry roads to get to the good trails and NOT worry about scraping anything. Total increase in height was 6.5 inches, so definitely worth the minimal time and expense.

5. MtnRunner

MtnRunner New Member

What tire size did you have before and what size did you go with after the axle flip. I'm doing the flip on mine and trying to decide what size to go to, give our or take, after the lift. I'm debating going with a slightly taller shackle also depending on what will fit with just the flip. Any pics of before and after?

6. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Mine came from the factory with 175x80 13 tires. After spring over, dealer installed 205x75 14. I replaced with 215x70 15 Yokohama Geolander AT tires and been running them for three years with absolutely NO problems. I also still have a pretty safe margin of clearance.

Just figure out the distance between trailer you have to work with, the figure the overall diameter of the tires you are looking at. Make sure to take into any difference in width to the inner fender liner if you have one.
    [​IMG]

Puckstr likes this.
  7. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

I contemplated increasing my tire size when I did the SOA, but my Coleman has the spare tire mounted on the back, inside an ABS (I assume) shell and I didn't think a larger spare tire would fit. Also, with the extra lift, consider your stabilizer jacks (I now need to use extra blocks) and step height to enter and exit your trailer.

8. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Good point. I have about 1.5 inch clearance with the 15" wheels to the bottom of the rear bunk, and you need long stabilizers. In this photo, the back are down as far as they can go, fronts are about halfway.
    As for the step...yea, I keep saying I will add a double step, but never do.
    [​IMG]

Puckstr likes this.