Axles and perch placement

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Anthony Hitchings, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

the spring perch goes between your leaf spring and the axle tube, its welded to the tube.

When I did my spring-over-axle conversion all went well - becasue I used the old axle, which had no camper!

On the new cambered axle, the perches were shipped loose, so I laid out the perch locations for the welder, whjo welded them tight to the axle, and then, later, I went to bolt it up - with difficulty!!

The axle's camber has the net effect of tilting the perches outwards, so when you try to snug a leaf spring down on a perch, the eyes on the springs swing outboard. Things no longer want to line up.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

BTW - as of today, my Aliner has 3/8" camber in 37" - thats very visible when a person is under the trailer checking it out. What's missing from the camper's inside is mostly food and a small amount of water. Today, the camper wieght would not be too far off its travelling weight. I think that the factory camber is too much. Its a nominal 2000 Lb axle from Dexter.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  2. Everett Bartlett

Everett Bartlett Active Member

From what you have said, I would surmise that the welder did not properly tack weld it first on both sides, and started doing the full weld, which caused the weld to tilt the perch. Not to much that you can do about it, except to get new perches, cut the old ones off and reweld the new ones, with a welder that is aware of metal creep during welding.

3. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

nope - the perches are tilted because the axle is sloped downwards from centere end end due to the sharp bend (kink) in the axle - the bend is how it is "cambered" - its industry practice

see my photo of zero camber (old, removed) and normal (new, current) cambered axles.

Attached Files:

4. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

It seems to me that that is a huge amount of bow in the middle. I also did the Axle-over conversion to my 2003 Viking. I used the same axle. It already had a bow in the middle, which had to be in the up position when reinstalled. The bow in the middle was not very much. It took a long straight edge to really see it. But the bow was nowhere near as much as the new axle in your photo. I placed the new perches, directly over the top of the old ones. I did not weld them in place. I made a scribe mark that would tell me if there was any rotational slippage due to heavy braking. There was none! I completely reassembled the axle to the camper. I did not want to weld them until I was sure there was no abnormal tire wear. My first camping trip after the conversion was last June. We drove almost 1,000 miles round trip. There was no abnormal tire wear and the camper tracked perfectly. So I had my cousin (cousin Mikey) come down for a visit and had him bring his welder. We then welded both inboard and outboard sides of the perches to the axle.

Is there a possibility that you have the wrong axle for your camper? It just seems to me that the bow is a little excessive. I think you are going to have to cut them off and then mount the axle to the camper. Then do the welding while they are in place and mounted.

Anthony Hitchings likes this.