AZ - Dogtown Lake USFS Campground Williams AZ

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by NotRufnIt, Sep 11, 2012.

1. NotRufnIt

NotRufnIt Total PuP Noobs! But Gettin' Better!

This was our second destination with the PuP. Neglected to take pics! DOH!
    The road into this campground from the paved road is a bit rough and in one part somewhat winding. We had no problems but just wanted to pass that info on.
    Here is the USFS link:
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/kaibab/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=11656&actid=29

Here is the Recreation.gov link:
    http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Dogtown_Lake_Campground_And_Group/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=73904&topTabIndex=Search

We stayed here Labor Day weekend. The area was remarkably quiet. We thought the sites were well separated and private as long as you stick to the outside sites facing the forest. Sorry about no pics. Our set up was really awesome too!

2. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Looks interesting. Thanks for sharing.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Friends of our camped here just before Labor Day, and enjoyed it. We plan on meeting them there sometime next year. There are some (a few) nice double sites, which we will reserve to ensure we get one. (It is 6-8 hour trip for each of us, so FCFS for those sites might be iffy.)

4. freenaz

freenaz Member

We like the Williams area its really beautiful. I drove through Dogtown lake last year FCFS but it was full so we ended up boondocking by Whitehorse lake which was full as well.

5. NotRufnIt

We are just not too good with FCFS. We're not good enough with everything on the PuP yet to boondock so we really feel like we need to rely on the campgrounds. I'm ok with the reservation fees as long as I know I've got the spot I want when I get there. I imagine it would be different if we could take off in the middle of the week when the campgrounds are quiet to snag a spot FCFS.

6. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

Do they allow reservations now. Last time I was there they didnt allow reservations it was first come first serve. I do like the idea of reservations. As most of the time you had to get there by thrusday to get a spot or else it was packed. I do like the fact that you can ride your atv from camp to go riding.

7. kitphantom

8. NotRufnIt

@kitphantom
    When will you all be there, if I might ask? We'll be there again for Memorial Day weekend. Friday thru Sunday. We took a drive thru this weekend to make sure everything was ok. The lake looks much lower since it was a drier winter but other than that it all looks great! We'll take some pics this time to share!

9. kitphantom

@NotRufnIt-
    We'll be there for Labor Day weekend, so we'll see what the lake level is by then. Our major activity is hiking, so the lake is scenery (no fishing or watercraft for us, though DH occasionally rents a canoe when available - I turned queasy before the end of the dock the time I tried to go with him in the Tetons).
    The double site we got looks like it will be nice, our friends scoped it out last Labor Day. They plan to join us and we'll play it by ear for hiking or activities other than relaxing in camp. (That DH is still recovering after brain surgery in Feb., so his stamina is not yet where he'd like it to be.)

10. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

kitphantom, if you are looking for a nice trail close to the campground about 7 miles from there. The bill Williams mountain trail is really nice. There is also a short i believe about 3 mile hike that leaves from the campground.

11. kitphantom

I think our friends said there was a trail from the campground. Bill Williams sounds familiar, too; we'll be digging into our resources closer to the trip. (three weeks total in Colorado during July to plan first!) As I said, our plans are even more fluid than usual - we always have info on many more hikes than can be done on a single trip, but it gives us a choice according to current mood, capabilities and weather/trail conditions

12. sunchild_az

sunchild_az New Member

I took the family there in mid-May 2013. The reservoir was pretty low so getting the canoe out was a bit challenging - but all in all it was pretty cool place.

13. AzCactusFlower

AzCactusFlower New Member

Great info -- there are still spots available for July 4th, that's a surprise! Might have to check that out instead of crowded Mt. Lemmon! Thanks much.

14. kitphantom

We enjoyed Labor Day weekend at Dogtown Lake with out friends. They were both not feeling great, and it pour most of the weekend, but we had a great visit. We had reserved early, so had one of the double sites, which worked very well for us - space for their tent on one tent pad, our canopy on the other, and plenty of parking space for the pup and two 4Runners.

15. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

We just stayed here June 13-16, 2019, we had site B30 reserved, it was a double site that had a pullthrough driveway, 2 tent pads, 2 picnic tables and 1 firering. the driveway was big enough for our popup, car and their car. They used 1 of the tent pads and the other we put our outdoor games on. The weather was beautiful, 70's during the day, mid 40's at night. The site was secluded, we didn't have anyone really close to us, so it was nice and quiet and had a private feeling. Our site had a slight view of the lake and also a meadow down the hill. The toilets were pretty clean, the restrooms do not have lights so be sure to take a lantern with you when its dark. There was drinking water provided and trash cans, but no dump station. The hosts do not have power so ice is not available there, you can buy firewood and fishing bait from them though. The hosts were friendly and would make their rounds but also on top of things, the grounds were clean, a truck was bringing in a bed full of firewood/downed trees and they stopped them, there is a policy of not moving firewood and it needs to be inspected by them first.

The lake was walking distance, saw some kayaks on the lake, people fishing. We found some geocaches around the lake and the kids hunted for crawfish, our friend tried fishing but got nothing. There is an amphitheater where they do some educational things there (that we missed), also saw something about a guided walking tour but we missed that too.

The campground is close to free range cattle and sheep, heard Elk in the distance. Its a little drive to Williams but we headed there a few times, had dinner, they have gun fights in the streets. Also stopped at the Grand Canyon and the Grand Canyon Deer Farm.

It was a nice big campground, quiet and would definitely stay here again.

Garrity and kitphantom like this.