AZ - Picacho Peak State Park

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by jbarz73, May 22, 2010.

1. jbarz73

jbarz73 New Member

We stayed at Picacho Peak State Park on 4/30-5/2. It has great facilities and good desert hiking. It's too hot for this time of year, but we're glad we had a chance to experience it. The bathrooms and showers are nice and clean. There is not much shade as you can see. Each site has a shade structure, picnic table and fire ring. They have two loops that have electric hookups (I don't remember if they have water hookups). They also have a dump station on-site.

It was fairly windy on the last night of our stay. So much so it almost felt like the PUP was going to roll over. The next day my wife still felt like she was rocking back and forth even though she was sitting still. Overall, it's a very nice park and it will be sad when they shut it down. [:(]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I like that sky shot, jbarz73. It almost looks like you added a lot of saturation or did an HDR composite.

3. Hot Cocoa

Hot Cocoa New Member

Why are they shutting it down [?:~{]

Christine [XK]

4. Dave in Az

Dave in Az Member

State budget problems.

I have never stayed there but have been down near there hunting.

Did you get over to Rooster Cogburns and feed the Ostriches?

5. barbjmj

barbjmj Member

I heard a news report on Friday that with the passage of Prop 100 this past week that this and 4 other parks will remain open. You're right though, it's too dang hot to camp there now until September. Went to Roosevelt Lake two weeks ago and it was too hot there too!

6. jbarz73

jbarz73 New Member

The sunset shot is an HDR image using 0, +2 and -2. I'm surprised it turned out as good as it did since it was really windy and I was precariously perched on the top of my truck without a tripod. The full sized version can be found here: http://barzphotography.blogspot.com. You can see the movement of the bush from all the wind.

We didn't go to the Ostrich farm. Instead we went to the Catalina mountains northeast of Tucson to have a picnic and scope out some other campsites. That's were we found Rose Canyon campground, see http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=36343.msg237380

As I understood it, some of the parks were staying open longer because some of the local communities stepped up to fund them. I didn't know that Prop 100 had anything to do with it.

7. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Very nice, thank you for sharing!

8. AZcouple

AZcouple New Member

They are still open :)