Babcock State Park

Discussion in 'West Virginia' started by CampQuinn, Aug 16, 2014.

1. CampQuinn

CampQuinn New Member

We stayed at Babcock State Park while exploring the New River Gorge in West Virginia. It is a great central location whether heading north to the bridge and Hawks Nest State Park or south toward Sandstone Falls and Grandview.

We stayed in Site 27 which had electric and was about 50 feet away from the centrally located water spigot in the middle of the loop. Since we couldnÂ’t quite reach with our hoses, we went and filled up the the water station that was just inside the entrance to the campground. Our site was nice and spacious. The site parallels the road and was a bit difficult to get into since the turn was tight. There was a large tree with a lot roots which did not bother us, but might be a problem for some people. Behind the tree and camper was the fire ring and picnic table. The sites in this loop felt spacious and not too close together. The bathrooms were clean, but could be updated. The showers were a bit small, but had hot water and good pressure. The staff were very friendly at the check-in station. There are signs at the park regarding bears and be warned that you need to take precautions regarding your food. We always kept our in the truck. We never did see a bear though.

We really enjoyed this park and the rugged beauty that it offered.

You can see my blog post about Babcock which features lots of pictures and information on hiking at the link below.
    http://plannedspontaneityhiking.wordpress.com/2014/08/06/babcock-state-park-west-virginia/

2. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Great pics!!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

3. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review!

4. LadyWolf

LadyWolf Member

I know it's an older post, but I love the pictures you took! WV is one of my favorite states and camping there (or even living there) would be awesome. Babcock State Park has been on my must-see list for quite a while now. Thank you for posting! [:D]

5. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

We've lived in WV for over 50 years, much of the state is like living in a state park.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. JMSubRN

JMSubRN New Member

I'll add our review here.
    We went up to Babcock this weekend. We stayed in site 44. This loop of the CG has fairly close sites. All but site 42 and 51 are out in the open for a lot of the day. We had shade in the morning until about 11 and then in the evening from about 5. All of the sites in this loop are flat with gravel pads. Good drainage. All have electric. The single bathhouse in the CG is a short walk, across the (not busy) road, in the main campground. I agree with CampQuinn about the bathhouse. Clean but needs some updating. Powerful, hot, private showers. I think there were 3. 1 larger with a nice fold down stool and handrail for someone that might need a little help or a seat while showering. Also a diaper changing station. And a laundry room. Potable water is available in a couple of places over there too. You can fill your tank right at the water station and then move on to your site.
    Our loop was absolutely perfect for our girly to ride her bike and scooter. Helmets are required and they have them available to borrow at the checkin office if you forget one for your child.
    The main campground has some electric sites and some without. There are lots of trees but we couldn't find a good spot that was not real close to an occupied site and the loop we stayed in was empty...until Saturday morning. You can read about that here
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=98482.0
    The rest of the park offers lots of things to see and do. A functioning grist mill (when the water is not too low), good hiking/biking trails, a lake, pool, and nice cabins to rent.
    Here's some of our photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] this was a new one for me!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

nice review, and great pics! looks like a good time

8. Wardog07D